nice1bruva

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cardinal1.jpg

anyone see this before as i must admit it supprised me?
8O
(this is a shot taken off another forum with the owners permission)

Mike612

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think cardinals are known to attack and eat shrimp like that. I'm guessing that either the shrimp was dead already and that the cardinal just picked it up, or the cardinal is not being fed properly. If it's not being fed enough, it might attack other animals in the tank to get food.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They most certainly are known to do this...they'll eat anything that they can comfortably fit into their mouth.

This one's eyes got a bit too large for it's stomach yes, and is obviously not a comfortable meal, but eating shrimp and small fish is nothing unusual. A look at their jaw structure lends a clue that they don't spend all their time eating brine shrimp sized food items.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JimM":3izqccrb said:
They most certainly are known to do this...they'll eat anything that they can comfortably fit into their mouth.

This one's eyes got a bit too large for it's stomach yes, and is obviously not a comfortable meal, but eating shrimp and small fish is nothing unusual. A look at their jaw structure lends a clue that they don't spend all their time eating brine shrimp sized food items.

+1

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 rule of fishkeeping: If it even THINKS it can fit it in its mouth, it will try. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been hesitant to add peppermint shrimp to our Banggai display for this very reason. I just added them the other day and watched the Banggais cower in fear at the sight of them. These are full grown 2+ year old fish, too. You never can predict these things. :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_":28yineus said:
I have been hesitant to add peppermint shrimp to our Banggai display for this very reason. I just added them the other day and watched the Banggais cower in fear at the sight of them. These are full grown 2+ year old fish, too. You never can predict these things. :)

Not going for a biotope?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: