• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kenske

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Jhale, Chief:

Thanks for pointing that out. I am aware of that( from my betta spawing days). I am setting up 2 hatcheries for brine and will stagger the 2 batches by about 8 hours apart. I an start one batch before leaving for work, then after work I can start the second batch. Also, I will only be using decapsulated brine eggs. In the past, I was able to keep decapsulated brine eggs in the fridge for 6+ weeks and still have a great hatch rate.

I am thinking about seeding the tank with the eggs. So as soon as they hatch, it can be hunted by the mandarins. Do you think there would be any long term effect on my water parameters if I do so? i have done it in the past without any problems, but I'm not sure if it's still ok if I do it on a daily basis.

kenske

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

Hey Guys, You won't believe this:

As soon as I got home today, I mixed frozen cyclopeez and Frozen Mysis (as usual). First few attempts, the mandarins ignored (as usual). I thought maybe they will not grab food from the water column, so I squirted the food into the rock work. I did not see the mandarins for a few minutes, they are behind the rock work. Then eventually the male mandarin emerged and I see him pick up a mysis that was caught between a crevice! He even swallowed it! Yep, the male is eating frozen mysis (thawed, obviously). He was probably eating frozen cyclopeez off of the rockwork also, but I cannot confirm this b/c it's really hard to see such small food particals. But mysis is definately accepted the the male mandarin.

The female is still behind the rockwork, hopefully eating. I will update as soon as I confirm that she is eating frozen mysis.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: