Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I was diving in Florida and cot a small lion fish.

Since Lion fish is invasive species in Atlantic waters they doomed to be killed, still I decided to save a little intruder and took him home. My fish in the tank is to fast and large for lion fish to swallow this is a plus, BUT… I cannot make this little guy to eat. I tried life feeders, pieces of table shrimps and krill. Got the food on the stick and suspended on fishing line to make it look more life. NO success. Years ago I had lion fish in my previous tank and had no issue to make them take no life food.

Asking for advice – anyone can suggest a technic from experience how to teach lion fish to eat.

It has been 10 days since I got him to NY and it must be hungry since it look like hunting all the time.
Thanks in advance for assistance.

Attachments

• IMG_5629 (1).JPG
    IMG_5629 (1).JPG
    56 KB · Views: 26
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
yes, small live fish and also feeder ghost shrimps, you can collect shrimps under docks and marinas which are sheltered, and there are plenty of bait fish to catch. OH, you're in NYC now, how did you get it on the plane? checked in luggage? It's a bit too early in the season to catch shrimps here, they won't be popping up for another couple of months, but if you can head to sheepshead marina, climb down the ladder with a dip net. Scoop up whatever floating seaweed you can and see how many shrimps are in there. Once trained onto the guppies or shrimps, you can train it onto freshly killed, then frozen easily. The Killifish and spearing fry don't show up till may/june also.

chrisgreeff

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how’d you get him back to new york lol, I’m also in new york and going to florida soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanD10514

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how’d you get him back to new york lol, I’m also in new york and going to florida soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm also heading down to FL (Key West) in 3 weeks and would like to bring something home. I was thinking of putting whatever I get in a bag and getting several other bags or containers with 3 oz of water (say 8 for a total of 24 oz). Once I get to security they'll make me dump whatever water the fish is in but I would then have 24 oz of water to add once I'm through security.

That's the only thing that I can think of. So an insight would be great, thanks.

benevideslauren67

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered live, saltwater, amphipods and ghost shrimp www.aquaculturenurseryfarms.com employee time tracking. They were all healthy, free of pathogens, of excellent quality and the fish went nuts for them. I bet the lion fish would like them. I would be raising the shrimp in a refugium as an endless source of food if I could, but I my AIO tank doesn't have a fuge.
hello,
thanks for the link. I'm a newbie and just planning to buy livestock for my aquarium .. could you advise me what to get to start with ... and what not. which fish survive too badly or are too whimsical so to speak?

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: