• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ZanaZoola14

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Would anyone be able to look over my stocking list for a roughly 50+ gallon tank I have?

Length x width x height
Inches — 69.69x12x15.75
cm — 177x30x40 approx

It has been cycling now for three months. The lights are not that powerful so corals are out of the picture currently; however, I have two mangroves in there that are growing well. The lights are to be upgraded in the future so that I can have softies in this tank.

Yesterday it got its first fish as a group of 4 green chromis. And if others in the household have anything to say then it will soon be filled with green chromis — they have got annoyed about the empty tank and saw how lovely and cheap the chromis were at £8 each.

I am looking at this tank being wrasse heavy, mainly fairys and flashers. However, it is also limited in what I can get ahold of without fully burning the budget let alone breaking it. I also don't have deep enough sand for some wrasses.

This is my plan for CUC, at least the initial plan that will change as this tank progresses on. I have already introduced and got pods in the tank; however, I would like to build on it which is why they are on the list.

CUC
2x Cleaner Shrimp
2x Bags of Pods
10x Nass snails
2x Spiny Astrea snail
4x Trochus snails
5x Nerite snails

Now for the fish stocking. I am placing them into groups as I understand how some fish will need to be introduced together to help lessen the chance of aggression.

Group One
1x Chalk Basslet
1x Assessor Basslet (yellow or blue)

Group Two
Flame Scooter Blenny pair

Group Three
1x Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus flavianalis)
1x McCosker’s Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
1x Royal Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus angulatus)
1x Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri)

Group Four
1x Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis) or Naoko’s Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus naokoae)

Group Five
1x Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas) or Flametail Blenny (Enchelyurus flavipes)

Group Six
Cherub Angelfish (Pair?) (Centropyge argi)

I know that group two will need to be the last introduction to make sure that there is a healthy pod population for them alongside any pod additions I'll add routinely. Group six is likely to be the one I add second to last after group one.

With group three I am thinking whether I actually only get one of them and get a small group (maybe around 3?) instead.

Rough group additions order:
3 (Flasher)
4 (Fairy)
5 (Blenny)
1 (Basslet)
6 (Angel)
2 (Dragonet) (likely 1 year+ down the line)

How does this stocking look? What are people's opinions on this? And anything to recommend if not in this list? Is this likely to max me out?

Any replies greatly appreciated, thanks.

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just make sure all fish are healthy as you’re adding them. Disease is a major issue in the fish trade and adding one sick fish can wipe out your entire stock. I never quarantined a fish until it happened to me and won’t ever again add a fish without proper qt. You are starting out right by waiting 3 months before adding fish. Slow and steady wins the raise in this hobby. Let your biome build up in the tank to support healthy life.

Did you start the tank with live rock/sand or dry rock?

ZanaZoola14

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure all fish are healthy as you’re adding them. Disease is a major issue in the fish trade and adding one sick fish can wipe out your entire stock. I never quarantined a fish until it happened to me and won’t ever again add a fish without proper qt. You are starting out right by waiting 3 months before adding fish. Slow and steady wins the raise in this hobby. Let your biome build up in the tank to support healthy life.

Did you start the tank with live rock/sand or dry rock?
Thanks. That is also why I do like to check over the fish myself at the lfs.

Live rock and live sand, with some dry rock. I also for about four mouths before setting this up adding loads of rock to my other tank so that rock could be added to this tank.
I plan on adding the final amount of rock from one tank over to the next in the next week or so.

I am also purchasing some imported live rock from Indonesia to help boost this tank further — especially when I set up the 3ft refugium I plan for this tank.

Thank you for the reply.

ZanaZoola14

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious where you're getting the import rock from..?
There is a lfs about an hour away from me that managed to get some in previously and say they can also source more (they get branches). And online rockncritters say they have premium live rock that spent time in the Indonesian sea before being imported over.

ZanaZoola14

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which LFS? Pristine Marine by any chance? I know they have some Aussie Branch but I haven't heard of any Indo LR in ages..
I'm from the UK, and the store is Dream Reef.

We get Indo instead of Aussie LR here it seems. I've not seen any Aussie rock for sale here, but seen loads of Indo.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: