rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I lost 1 clown, the larger female.
Can I now add a normal Ocellaris clown to my 1 black and white Ocellaris clown. Should I add a smaller male, or a larger female?

34 gallon 20" cube.
No anemone yet, will get one when I get the other clown.
The 1 black/white clown just hangs out in the top left back corner all day....
Thanks

lazibonez

Senior Newbie
Rating - 100%
379   0   0
I d say no. Mixing clowns is a bad idea, unless u have a large tank. Ocellaris clowns are the least aggressive clowns, so most likely it will take a beating or get killed. Anyone with who actually mixed clowns, please chime in.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Of course you can mix Ocellaris clowns...they are the same species after all (color variants notwithstanding). Always try adding a smaller clown than the one already established in your tank. It'll help to reduce aggression in the newcomer.

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Of course you can mix Ocellaris clowns...they are the same species after all (color variants notwithstanding). Always try adding a smaller clown than the one already established in your tank. It'll help to reduce aggression in the newcomer.

yes

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Dean and Sean (and anyone else):

To the best of your knowledge, have a pair that are different color variants ever spawned? I know that color is very important in salt water fish for different cues, like mating. In reality, the black and the orange ocellaris would likely have only a small overlap zone (since the black ones are pretty much constrained to the great barrier reef, from what I have read). So while the orange and black clowns might recognize each other as the same species, would they recognize a possible mate?

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0

To the best of your knowledge, have a pair that are different color variants ever spawned? I know that color is very important in salt water fish for different cues, like mating. In reality, the black and the orange ocellaris would likely have only a small overlap zone (since the black ones are pretty much constrained to the great barrier reef, from what I have read). So while the orange and black clowns might recognize each other as the same species, would they recognize a possible mate?

Yep....
My current pair is a B/W Osc. & a regular Osc.

caad3

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I have mixed false perculas - Ocellaris both black and regular no problems. Actually added a true percula with the group at one point, but became a nasty bastard, so he had to go. Was added to 125 gallon tank, so that may have been helpful

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've never bred them but as far as tank mates never had a problem as long as they are true ocellaris clownfish not clarkii black saddle or such.

I've been mixing the ora ocellaris's for years with no problem. Keep in mind that ocellaris can get aggressive towards each other when one is dominating another and changing sex. Sometimes chasing one away or nipping at ones fins.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Just a note of caution - read a lot and think carefully before adding an anemone. The clowns dont need it, and most captive anemones die in a short period of time while in nature can live for a very long time.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Hmm, that's very interesting. Were yours captive bred or wild caught?

Sometimes I think the fish in our tanks will "settle" for what we give them because they are stuck with limited resources and try to make the best of their situation, if that makes sense. Clownfish will make do with a mate of a different color variant in the same way that they'll eventually make do with a hammer or frogspawn to host. Not the first choice, but they work with what they've got.

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a note of caution - read a lot and think carefully before adding an anemone. The clowns dont need it, and most captive anemones die in a short period of time while in nature can live for a very long time.

Don't know much about the " and most captive anemones die in a short period of time" part but it is though that anemones live until something kills it,that they have no lifespan:scratchch:shocked:.

As for the clowns, my cuz has a mixed pair like that but he say hes never seen eggs.

Basicly when mixing clowns,heres the deal. A pair of the same species is the limit for a smaller tank or else you end up with aggresion probs. larger tanks may have others but you should really only have a pair of the same species,a 3rd of the same may be singled out. When trying to make a pair,assume your clown is a female,once clowns are females they stay that way until death, so try to get a small male thats in a tank with others.Always assume a lone clown is female.

EXCEPTIONS DO OCCUR BUT DON'T HAVE A CLOWN DIE BECAUSE YOU WANTED YO BE AN ACCEPTION!!!

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here are my clowns in a 29g cube.

Attachments

• IMG_0690.JPG
    IMG_0690.JPG
    286.1 KB · Views: 916
  • IMG_0693.JPG
    IMG_0693.JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 904

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

there are spawning pairs of clowns who are completely different species so I don't think they care much about color variants...

I remember reading threads on Reefcentral from people successfully breeding hybrids, lemme do a little searchin.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: