• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I saw a Dwarf Moray Eel (Gymnothorax melatremus ) at Greenwich Aquaria. I don't know much about it but you can probably ask GA questions or see if jhale knows more about the eel.

It was a beautiful yellow and really small. I think they said it reaches a max of 12" long and is considered reef safe.

I tend to agree with Chief though. It is probably reef safe to a point. My guess is it will eat small shrimp and fish. It doesn't hurt to ask though.

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Your tank, a 46 bow, isn't that large so even a small dwarf eel is going to put an additional bio-load on the tank. Make sure you have a good protein skimmer otherwise you're going to see an increase in nitrates and a decrease in water quailty.

Gymnothorax melatremus is the best eel to get, as they only get to about 12". They're wouldn't bother you corals, fish or inverts, so they're pretty reef safe. They're expensive, usually in the $200-$350 range. You could also try a small Snow Flake eel, though it will grow large in time. They're also may eat small fish and inverts.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: