Mr. Softy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Anthias air trapped in swim bladder

After reading about swim bladder infections in anthias, i'm sure i'm having this problem with one of my females. Swelled belly with buoyancy issues. It still eats well but i'm sure it won't be long before it goes down for the count. I have the option to quarantine. So once in QT, how can i treat it. Please help, don't want to lose this fish. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Mr. Softy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Hey, I posted something to some aquatic veterinarians for you. Will let you know when I hear any responses
Found many posts about this problem throughout the web, but no remedies. I got this fish a few weeks ago as part of a threesome, and did not notice the buldging belly for the first week. I'm thinking that it may have had gas trapped in it from the collection process and now that it has a belly full of food, the buldge has become noticable. I can clearly see a pocket of air in it when the light hits it just right. If the situation becomes critical i may have to break out a syringe.

lazibonez

Senior Newbie
Rating - 100%
379   0   0
You can try methylene blue as a bath as well as feeding green peas. But I doubt anthias would eat it, still worth a shot. Bladder problem is very common in Freshwater Goldfish, and people discovered feeding green peas can cure it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: