• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

TripleT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 ammonia .25 nitrite 0 nitrate when i tested yesterday. I don't know how they get cuts on them. before they die. only one side of the fish the other side is perfectly normal.

Anything other than 0 nitrite is a problem.

For example, if you posted those parameters a week ago I would have suggested the largest water change possible, followed by additional water changes until you got the level back to 0.

You might still do that for your corals' sake. Are they showing any signs of problems yet?

But before you do anything, still need to know if your tank ever cycled to begin with. And how long the tank has been set up.

Dragonyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Originally I thought the rocks were to sharp as they were the large dead sps rocks. and only one side had the problem. The rocks are from someone on here he had them for a year already sand from my 12g eclipse that I got from someone on this maybe 2 months ago.

Last edited:

TripleT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the limited info, I'd say your tank hasn't properly cycled yet. The water quality either did your fish in directly, or the stress caused excessive flashing (scraping against rock and substrate) which then contributed to wounds and eventually death.

Until you understand why you have a nitrite reading, and get that back to zero, you should not consider adding anything else to the tank.

For more advice, we need more info about the tank setup and history.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I think albano is right because my corals are fine and one fish died first and had pealed skin the second was fine for 2 days after first and the second one I know it's a bad picture but the dark area is a hole.

If it was a Mantis Shrimp you wouldn't find the body, as they're very good at killing and consuming the whole fish. Actually you'll find that most people, that have Mantis Shrimps in their tank, usually have fish missing.

It sounds like your tank isn't fully cycled or can't handle to load. What corals do you have?

Dragonyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I think one is a galaxia or something and the other is some kinda star polyp the rocks are live and some have coraline the sand is live most of it that is. what else is there to cycle ? I lost 2 fish but I'm learning something new at the same time. I found them behind the rock and moved it with a unused shish kabob stick so I can net them out. I won't add anymore fish. how bout inverts?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: