ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Based on my calculations, shipping was less then $10. At that price point, a groupbuy isn't much of a saving when you consider you need to travel to pick it up instead. I'd only consider the groupbuy if 1 block is too much for you AND if they're very close by

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Ming,

We have monthly meeting for LIRA, so saving on shipping at delivery at LIRA meeting would be nice. I know Joe from Atlantis did this for us, last year. However, the savings from this place would be nice.

PS. Just called vendor. Shipping would be about 10.50 for 2.2lbs of frozen. So if I bought 2 bags, shipping adds up. I think shipping would be costly and think that shipping is indeed expensive.

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Ming,

We have monthly meeting for LIRA, so saving on shipping at delivery at LIRA meeting would be nice. I know Joe from Atlantis did this for us, last year. However, the savings from this place would be nice.

PS. Just called vendor. Shipping would be about 10.50 for 2.2lbs of frozen. So if I bought 2 bags, shipping adds up. I think shipping would be costly and think that shipping is indeed expensive.

I just called Jehmco to ask (couldn't find where I put the invoice...) and my total shipping was 10.01 for the 2 blocks (11 pounds), so it isn't $10 ish /block. (total bill was $67)

I just want to add that I cannot tell you just how fresh the mysis is that I ordered, like it came out of the water yesterday...so plump, the fish are LOVIN' it!! :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just called Jehmco to ask (couldn't find where I put the invoice...) and my total shipping was 10.01 for the 2 blocks (11 pounds), so it isn't $10 ish /block. (total bill was $67)

I just want to add that I cannot tell you just how fresh the mysis is that I ordered, like it came out of the water yesterday...so plump, the fish are LOVIN' it!! :)
Was the mysis whole or a lot in pieces?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Besides the Mysis shrimp Jehmco carries a number of other products that most people use.

Frozen Cyclop-eeze*
Frozen Krill*(They're pretty large and I use them to feed my large Triggers, Groupers and Eels.)
http://www.jehmco.com/html/frozen.html

They also sell these things in Freeze dried package too.
http://www.jehmco.com/html/freeze_dried.html#FDMysis

They also carry the large sizes of flake food and Spectrum Pellets, like Thema A, which most on-line/mail order places don't carry anymore. This is great for people that feed a lot and have large fish, like me, big cost savings.

They're close by, located in NJ, so you can ship the items ground and get them the next day. I've order a number of blocks and pellets and the shipping was under $15.

For anyone that hasn't seen the large blocks, well they're very big and do take up a good amount of space in the freezer. Also if you keep them too long in the freeze they tend to lose some what of their quality, not to mention you do need to watch out for freezer burn. So if you don't use a lot it maybe best to split a block with someone. And as Kathy said the items are very fresh, I think they actually freeze and pack the items up just days before they ship it out.

TripleT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also good for saving money...

http://www.melevsreef.com/food.html

processor.jpg

+

fresh_food.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Was the mysis whole or a lot in pieces?

Considering that mysis is small to start with..I'd say most of it was whole, but I was slicing it into 1/4" thick slabs, so yes it gets a little more chopped up.
My fish and corals make it go away..any way you slice it..lol
Pun intended ;)

Last edited:

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Same stuff I have been using since Jim started the group buy years back. I paid about $100 in fedex overnight charge to have about 30 lbs shipped to me in the west coast.

The "PE mysis" (M. relicta) is a fresh water specie and is very high in fatty acid which cause many skimmer go nuts. I mostly uses e. pacifica and cyclopeeze for my fish and corals now, since the home made mix takes too much time to make and my wife don't like me using her blender to chop up shrimp and fish guts.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Same stuff I have been using since Jim started the group buy years back. I paid about $100 in fedex overnight charge to have about 30 lbs shipped to me in the west coast.

The "PE mysis" (M. relicta) is a fresh water specie and is very high in fatty acid which cause many skimmer go nuts. I mostly uses e. pacifica and cyclopeeze for my fish and corals now, since the home made mix takes too much time to make and my wife don't like me using her blender to chop up shrimp and fish guts.

I totally agree Pierce - the M. relicta is extremely greasy and leaves quite a film on the surface of the water...and you can't beat the prices!! :)

...no fish guts in my blender either..lol

Kathy, you beat me to it. I was actually going to do a group buy on this. I have just been really busy with orders and everything.

I'm not looking to do start group buy from Jehmco - the point of the thread was - you can buy it yourself & have it delivered right to your door!
A single block of the plankton/mysis I buy is about 9" x 5" x 6" - so it really doesn't take up all that much freezer space. For those with especially small freezers or small amounts of fish, maybe best to split with a nearby reefer buddy.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: