redbora

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
thanks for the info Kathy. just wondering, you had mentioned to make sure the slabs were still somewhat frozen and to not allow them to defrost, any reason why. i ask because i was thinking about mixing some in to my own made food and wonder if it was possible to defrost some all the way and refreeze it. also, how much was shipping.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
thanks for the info Kathy. just wondering, you had mentioned to make sure the slabs were still somewhat frozen and to not allow them to defrost, any reason why. i ask because i was thinking about mixing some in to my own made food and wonder if it was possible to defrost some all the way and refreeze it. also, how much was shipping.

As with anything you freeze, once you defrost it and there are few (if any) ice crystals left in it- you need to use it very soon afterwards (days, not weeks).
The trick is to just slightly thaw these blocks so that you can slice them, package them and then get them right back into the freezer. They still need to be loaded with ice crystal so they don't deteriorate.

In your case, IF the remainder of the food you are using to make your home made food is fresh..then mix that in whatever manner you choose and freeze THAT mixture and then add in a little mysis (thawed) right before you serve it?

I think that for the almost 5 pounds I received the shipping was right about $10, probably a little bit less.

You can't beat this stuff! (I keep saying that...lol)

redbora

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
As with anything you freeze, once you defrost it and there are few (if any) ice crystals left in it- you need to use it very soon afterwards (days, not weeks).
The trick is to just slightly thaw these blocks so that you can slice them, package them and then get them right back into the freezer. They still need to be loaded with ice crystal so they don't deteriorate.

In your case, IF the remainder of the food you are using to make your home made food is fresh..then mix that in whatever manner you choose and freeze THAT mixture and then add in a little mysis (thawed) right before you serve it?

I think that for the almost 5 pounds I received the shipping was right about $10, probably a little bit less.

You can't beat this stuff! (I keep saying that...lol)

gotcha, i figured that would be the answer. thanks for the clarity. yea, it beats the 20 mile drive and 28 bucks a pack for pe

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
This thread is due for a bump..ok someone asked me about it tonight, so here you go.

I have also made it a Sticky in the 'Fish Forum' so it will be easier to find:)

:fish: :eat: :fish:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Wow. With the little pieces put them in a icecube tray so when you are running late for work and don't have time to feed the tanks tell your household members to pop a ice in the tank

You could even make your own little cubes with this by smushing it into a piece of egg-crate and then popping them out after they refreeze.

BUT, you really need to do it quickly while there is still ice crystals in the mysis if you want to refreeze it :)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This thread is due for a bump..ok someone asked me about it tonight, so here you go.

I have also made it a Sticky in the 'Fish Forum' so it will be easier to find:)

:fish: :eat: :fish:

Kathy... how's the quality of the Mysis? Is it enriched at all? A lot of people on here seem to swear only by PE Mysis.

I paid $17 for a PE Cyclopeez & Mysis combo pack (1 tray of frozen cubes each) at Mutts N Butts a couple of weeks ago.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: