zookeeper

House of Clowns
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Why Thank You. :)

designer-clownfish.png

Anyone see the article in coral magazine about designer clownfish by Matt Wittenrich?
http://coralmagazine.coverleaf.com/coral/20100708#pg65
Interesting article however he states that a snowcasso is a cross between a picasso and a snowflake, not so.
Its a product of two picassos (a. perculas) and the only person to produce it thus far is Doni Marie. He probably should have given her props. They are trademarked. Outside of that little hiccup it was a good article.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What's wrong with it? Just check out the freshwater section of your local LFS, or just look in Petland. 90% of those fish are "designer" fish. All the livebearer's, all the goldfish and koi. For that matter, just look at dogs. All are "designer" animals, even the mutts (which are products of designer animals), otherwise they would be wolves. Now I can see your argument for genetically engineered fish like glo-light zebra fish......

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't understand why there should be any controversy. Clownfish breed easily, so why not select for variations you like? I liked every one of the clowns in that picture, and if I had endless amounts of space, cash, time, and more cash, I'd keep every one of them. Well, maybe not the "naked" ones without stripes. This is no different from anything else done in the aquarium trade with domesticated fish. At least these are just color morphs, not physically deformed fish like "balloon" mollies. As for the term "mutant" fish, well, don't forget that every species in nature is "mutant" in origin...mutation is the raw material of evolution.

eazy al

onyxx owner
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
For sure, both of these were chosen by me for different characteristics each possess .for example I chose a donisreef picasso because it's the only picasso from a breeder that is worth breeding in doni practices culling a lot meaning if the fish was deformed it would not make it to the streets so therefor I like the color, the generation was fixed with a wild cought, her picasso gene pool has a hight % of helmets, and patterns they put out. Know for the c - quest onyx I chose it because the breeder got his breeder pair from cquest .they were used at cquest has breeders so the gene pool its as solid as it gets 2.the semi Picasso patterns it carries both parent were pure onyx no picasso gene.3 the color of the orange on my onyx and the rich black like no other .It's the 4th hatch this week 1/16/14

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: