NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so today i noticed my red firefish had a rip on the corner of his tail/fin. it is pretty noticible when you look at it. it was not like this yesterday. i called my lfs up and it might be because it scraped up against some live rock when it darted into his blot hole. i only have a colony of zoos, a mushroom coral and a leather. could the corals have stung it? idk... i feed it small dried shrimp. i know thres a name for the shrimp but i forget what its called..krill? i use to feed it too my angelfish.I also topped off my water with r/o but i dont think that should be a problem. i did not buffer it or anything but the store said they did. that shouldnt be a problem because i used to buffer my r/o water and nothing happened. the tank is a month and a hald old. probably fully cycled. here are my parameters tested LAST NIGHT. (((o and i also noticed a white spot on it's right fin but i do not think it is because of ich. it has had that when i bought it and it doesnt look like ich. the fish has also like brown marks under the eyes (maybe it's stressed) i also have a turbo snail and some other kind of snail i dont know the name of.. i dont think snails can harm fish. maybe when the firefish was in the hole the snail was on a rock or something and it caused the rock to fall on the fish?)))

parameters

nitrite:0
nirtate(unknown)-dont have kit for nitrate but was told not too important
ph-7.8-8.0 (it was hard to tell)
ammonia-0 was the clostest match

i have read online that the fins will grow back, if feed a variety of foods and kept with right conditions of water

my sg should be at like 1.024.. when i first acclimated my fish the bag water went into the tank (almost all of it) which had copper, but copper is better for fish as it removes parasites, if anything it should eggect my corals, but luckly it did not. i think it should do a water change maybe?

NOTE:
this tank is not brand new.. it has been converted from a tropical.. i also noticed in my old tank all my tropical fish has had ripped fins... and tails..i dont know if that has anything to do with it.. maybe fin rot? but i made sure i washed everything before i used the tank again. the firefish bottom little fin is also a little bent but it was always that way/

ALSO:THE PIC OF THE FISHES RIPPED TAIL MIGHT SEEM LIKE THERE ARE LITTLE HOLES IN THME BUT BE AWARE THERE ARE NOT HOLES IN THE FIN/TAIL. THOSE ARE WHITE SPOTS ON THE GLASS THAT MAKES IT LOOKS LIKE HOLES.. ALMOST LIKE AN ALLUSION.. NO HOLES IN FISH'S TAIL..

SORRY FOR LONG PARAGRaPHS

heres some pics

View attachment 85604

View attachment 85605

View attachment 85606

View attachment 85607

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who told you nitrates weren't important? Don't listen to them.
well they didnt exactly say it wasnt important. they said it was not that big of a deal and that nitrite and amonia was what u need to worry about. as long as you keep up with the water changes. i did not do a water change yet because i want to let my tank mature and fully cycle.. then ill do it..

T

THEDLO

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well they didnt exactly say it wasnt important. they said it was not that big of a deal and that nitrite and amonia was what u need to worry about. as long as you keep up with the water changes. i did not do a water change yet because i want to let my tank mature and fully cycle.. then ill do it..
u got it all wrong. once the system has cycled nitrates and phosphates are what u need to watch. by the time the other two start to rise NO3 and PO4 are already of the charts.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: