Ph? - Page 2 - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Freshwater  /  Ph?
08-06-2011, 07:02 PM
The rainbows should be OK with higher pH. 7.6 isn't all THAT high anyway. I don't think you would have any problems with a Betta and Amanos. I had a couple of them that were up near 2" and I don't think a Betta would bother them.

I agree with Jeff about the Endler's Livebeares. If you aren't excited about Guppies, they are pretty cool little fish. Have you seen the Variatus Platies? They are a pretty good alternative to just regular old Platies.

08-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks Howze
Dont you need to add salt to the tank for platies? How wouldn't that affect my plants? What I think Im going to do is give the tank like another 3 weeks then take a trip over to fish town and see what catches my eye. I will have a list of do's and donts. I know Im pretty much stuck with platies or guppies if I want the small red shrimp(and I do). I checked out Endlers and they really dont do it for me they kind of look like feeder guppies to me. I guess ive gotten use to the salt water fish and just need some time to adjust.

08-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Nah, you don't need salt for Platies. Everything that is sold now is all captive bred and they raise them in fresh water. What about the Galaxy Rasboras? They are pretty amazing and they are teeny tiny little guys.

Vendor: WingoLED
08-07-2011, 02:46 AM
Don't get the blue crayfish, they may kill your fish

A Presentation of Tank Bred Designer Clownfish and other Live Stock

WingoLED.com..... Email WingoAgency@yahoo.com ........... SMS/Text: 347 878 3092

08-07-2011, 06:55 AM
Thanks Howze and Wingo. I kinda figured the crayfish wouldnt go. Ill take a look at the Galaxy and see what they look like.

08-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Howze I checked out the Galaxy and I LOVE them but sounds like htye might be difficult to find :-(

08-07-2011, 08:38 AM
ok the more research i do the more it looks like Im stuck with guppies. They seem to be the only ones who dont go after the shrimp. I was leaning platies but on several threads people had posted that platies attack their shrimp. Now I have to convince myself I like guppies

08-07-2011, 02:24 PM
I have the little guys in my tank.
Petco Union square regularly has the galaxy rasboras in stock for $3.99+tax.
Pacific on Delancey(I think) also has them from time to time. Much pricier though.
Bronx zoorama also has them in here regularly.
Cheapest to get them is in petco union square.

As for shrimp,you can get them at win aquarium over at mott st. between grand and broome. I think they have em for $2.50 a piece for the fire red shrimp and $10 a piece for the Crystal red shrimp(stripe red and white).
I suggest you get them from the swap and shop of tpt as the do 20 for $20 shipped on the regular cherry red shrimp.

Last edited by jeffvmd; 08-07-2011 at 02:28 PM.

08-07-2011, 02:31 PM
thanks Jeff Im in queens and no car not sure how they aould fare on the subway. In two weeks Ill be ready to add fish I would actually love to have a tank of them they are so pretty. Ill see if they have them at fishtown. It takes me an hr by bus to get there but I take a care home after buying fish and that takes less than 20 min. The plants I bought from you seem really happy(well their alive and for me thats happy)

08-07-2011, 02:36 PM
They'll do fine by subway. I too have no car. =)
These fish are shipped in breather bags for 3 days and they do fine. I've tried shipping them too and all are A OK.