OOtzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I stumbled on this guy at my local lfs , after some persuasive talk I walked out of there paying $35, Not bad at all. I have a 29 gal setup for about 13 months I've had the eel for about 4 months. Intially he was stubborn but I got him eating frozen bloodworm with fresh squeezed garlic juice. I'll update periodically as theres always a new challenge to take with finicky creatures.

Attachments

• IMAG0098.jpg
    IMAG0098.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 176
  • IMAG0075.jpg
    IMAG0075.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 173
  • IMAG0099.jpg
    IMAG0099.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 169

LatinP

Look at my bare bottom!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Not a bad deal, those freshwater eels are usually one of the most desired and typically go between 60-99 bucks.

You'll definitely want a bigger tank though, they don't grow as big as some morays but can easily hit the size of a snowflake and will be much thicker around.

I had one a few years back would put my freshwater tank under low power actinic lights just for looks, it would highlight the eel's red streaks, big attention getter.

OOtzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Yea I know in time ill have to upgrade. I'm working on him accepting frozen krill because I want to vary his diet. What did you feed yours ? Intially he loved frozen blood worm now he just eats it just cause, doesn't really seem interested likea little kid to vegetables

LatinP

Look at my bare bottom!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yea I know in time ill have to upgrade. I'm working on him accepting frozen krill because I want to vary his diet. What did you feed yours ? Intially he loved frozen blood worm now he just eats it just cause, doesn't really seem interested likea little kid to vegetables

Shrimp from the supermarket frozen food section make sure it is NOT cooked, and Blood Worms that's all there is to it really. I don't have my freshwater tank anymore, about a year and a half ago I got completely bored and took it down. But the eel was definitely the centerpiece of that tank. Never fed mine veggies, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try and get them to eat some but most of the fire eels I've seen don't really fancy it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: