ReefnQueens

Tonga Wanga
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I never thought I'd be posting in the freshwater thread, but I am kind of excited! My father and mother-in-law would like me to build them a nice koi pond in there backyard. I have plenty of experience with reef tanks but none with ponds. They want to have a pond roughly 4'x6' in the corner of there yard blending in with there landscaping. Where do I begin? The neighbor has a fence right where I would be digging, are they and codes to follow for digging a hole within a few feet of there fence? Would an extension cord be a bad idea for running the electric for the pumps and what not? Since the pond isn't massive would I better off going with one of tubs instead of using heavy plastic (rubber membrane?) I'm reading 3' deep is enough to keep the fish alive in the winter, should I go deeper? Also reading a drain is necessary on the bottom , where do you drain to and do you use a pump? What kind of filtration do you guys use....I'm really green to all of this and can use some guidance to assure I get the job done right .....any help is greatly appreciated!
9e3633a7.jpg

Here's a picture where the pond will be going, I want to put some nice plants behind the pond so it doesn't look like the water is coming from the fence lol and it's going to go where the rocks on the bot left of the picture are , roughly 4x6....

Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You need to know the pond will be so you can calculate how much water you have in it!!
If it is under 500g you shoud not go with koi( they get big fast) and you will have fish dying and you will be making a bigger pond to keep them alive, Over killl is always better on the filter.
good luck

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: