arthurk0722

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am new to this community. I would like to start up my own first freshwater fish tank and hopefully move up to salt water when I feel I'm ready.
1. What do you guys recommend me getting ( size of tank, fish, accessories, etc..)?
2. What store should i go to buy all the equipment i will need? (theres a petsmart near my house but i would prefer a more "professional" place).?
3. Any specific type of setup?
4. Any type of chemicals or anything i would need to maintain the fish tank?

I have no budget for this let me know about all the possible things i could do.
Thanks for helping me out.

If i left anything out thats important to start the new tank, please let me know.

REEF MANIA

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
I would go straight to a saltwater tank in my opinion. The saltwater fish are much nicer looking. Look on the for sale forums on MR. There is a few real nice deals. One member is selling 120g setup. Start with just fish only. Then once you read up and learn more about the hobby and about reef tanks. You can start adding in some live rock and a few starter corals. As you getting better at the hobby you can change to a full reef tank. They aren't as hard to keep as some people say. This is a great site for learning about the hobby. We also have some real good vendors if you decide you want to go with a brand new setup. Good luck with what ever you decide. I started with a 75g then I went to a 90g then a 120g now I'm going to 180g. I wish I started with the 120g I would have saved a lot of money. Once you get into it. It gets very addicting. I had many sleepless nights in the beginning. Its so exciting looking at a reef tank.

Ziggy

PADI Instructor
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I would go straight to a saltwater tank in my opinion. The saltwater fish are much nicer looking. Look on the for sale forums on MR. There is a few real nice deals. One member is selling 120g setup. Start with just fish only. Then once you read up and learn more about the hobby and about reef tanks. You can start adding in some live rock and a few starter corals. As you getting better at the hobby you can change to a full reef tank. They aren't as hard to keep as some people say. This is a great site for learning about the hobby. We also have some real good vendors if you decide you want to go with a brand new setup. Good luck with what ever you decide. I started with a 75g then I went to a 90g then a 120g now I'm going to 180g. I wish I started with the 120g I would have saved a lot of money. Once you get into it. It gets very addicting. I had many sleepless nights in the beginning. Its so exciting looking at a reef tank.
You are 1000% right and the beginning is so exciting when you wake up at night and look at you tank and see some creatures that you never see before and best part you didn't even buy them and they there!LOL.....so man you need salt water tank! And I will get you one!!! How do you like that?

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I agree that going saltwater is the most key part of this. Since you seem to want to go in that direction eventually.
You can go with fish only at this point and start adding live rock at your own pace. Eventually get a strong light and get into coral. Really the only difference between fresh and saltwater is the salt and a protein skimmer. At the beginning you can start with a basic setup.
Where do you live? There are probably some stores we can recommend.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0

1. What do you guys recommend me getting ( size of tank, fish, accessories, etc..)?For tank size, Do you have any space limitations at home? What fishes are you looking to get as this will partly determine what size tank you need to get. You have to tailor your equipment to the livestock you wish to sustain. There are a lot of good reads on tank equipment and set up on plantedtank.net/forums

2. What store should i go to buy all the equipment i will need? (theres a petsmart near my house but i would prefer a more "professional" place).?
Tank wise if you jut want the regular black trim tanks, you can wait for the petco and petland $1 per gallon sales which goes on several times a year. Or go for rimless tanks which are a bit pricier but definitely worth the extra.
I personally shop online as they are way cheaper than most stores around. Also try vendors here on the forum as they have some good deals every now and then. For livestock Win tropical has great prices on fishes.

3. Any specific type of setup?
That would depend on which direction you want to go. Just fish, fish with plants or plants with fish. The equipment you will need will be partly determined by what livestock you want to keep.

4. Any type of chemicals or anything i would need to maintain the fish tank?
For fresh water if you go planted then there are fertilizers you need to get. If just fish then the usual water conditioners are used. Buffers, etc.
Personally i dont even treat my water for my planted fish tank.

I have no budget for this let me know about all the possible things i could do.
Thanks for helping me out.
For budget, freshwater set up equipment wise is cheaper than a reef.
As others have said here, If your initial plan is to go saltwater, go for it now.
But if you plan to maintain both fresh and saltwater tanks, freshwater may be a good start.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: