Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I hope this is the correct place for my question.

I am looking to start a second Fresh water tank in my house. I would like sand as well as my substrate and I am wondering if I find cheaper sand. I purchased pool filter sand from ACE for $13+tax. I live in New york city (11366) and would like to know if anyone has found sand for cheaper. I am avoiding play sand to not deal with any problems it may cause in my tank.

I am happy wit the sand I purchases but would just like to save some more money. This is the sand I purchased.

Last edited:

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Is this for a FW "planted" aquarium or fish only? For a planted aquarium you'd be much better off with a substrate specifically suited for plants or you will have to start a dosing ferts & CO2.

I've known so many people that have gone w/ PFS and ended up switching to a proper planted substrate. If that is what you are looking for I have a ton of substrate (EcoComplete) that you are welcome to since I shut down all but 2 of my planted tanks.

Here are a couple of links to a simple FW planted tank substrate comparison:

Different substrates and pros/cons of each:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=153412

Substrate articles & FAQ:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184631

Another huge favorite choice among planted enthusiasts is ADA Aqua Soil, however it is NOT cheap...it's $40+ for a 9L bag.

Hope this helps...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be for a second african cichlid tank.

If you can afford to skimp on items... there are other hobbies that are better suited. This not being one of them.

I do not understand why there are people against trying to save money? Just because this is not a cheap hobby does not mean you can not attempt to save money. Why should I pay a higher price when I can find the same thing for cheaper somewhere else. I could have went to my LFS and bought 50lbs of sand for $30 instead of the pfs I bought for $13. My fish are happy and so am I. I shouldn't be in the hobby because I wanted to save the difference?

I can't afford to buy rocks for my tanks. I did what many other people have done, bought terracotta pots and split them in half to create caves. There are ways to save money and still be in the hobby.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: