sjsoto

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
65 gallon set up, 40 inches long. Already bought flowerhorn. Be posting pics soon. Been looking for good lineage flowerhorn but difficult to find, finally obtained one. Be making decor custom made with concrete for better bacterial growth. Emperor 400 and 280. And 500 gph water pump for circulation. Been planing this cichlid set up for years now.

sjsoto

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
The tank which was suppose to be c.a. Cichlids turned into a predominently c.a. Cichlid tank. List of fishes;
1 Oscar(tiger)-3" south american
1 I'd shark-4" farm raised
1 jack dempsey-1.5" central america
1 firemouth-4" central america
1 managuense cichlid-.75"central america

I never had the opportunity to have and be able to raise a managuense from such a small age and size. Fairly young so I treat it like a baby. I'm aware of its aggresiveness. As I research any fish before I buy. No pics yet. They too crappy(the pics). Soon when I get decent and better pics. The I'd shark won't stay with me. After he reaches about 8" he will be moving out.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I used ti feed flake, pellets and live black worms. They grew from 2" ti 2' in about 2 years. I had a really hard time getting them new homes once they reached that monster size. I wound up giving them away to some one on monsterfishkeepers.com

sjsoto

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
DSC00353.jpg

sjsoto

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
My managuese died. :sad2:
Saw him at filter intake stuck there. Love managuese and really want to keep one. Next purchase is going to be one of 3". To make sure is well and healthy. This one seemed healthy and don't know what happened. All the other fish seem fine and water parameters are good.

I noticed that the firemouth follows the oscar everywhere it goes. They buddies. If the oscar starts chasing one of the other fish the firemouth does the same. It seems funny when I see that behaviour. The jack is very reclusive and just likes to eat and hide when not eating. Tha jd is the smallest of the bunch now.

sjsoto

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I noticed my oscar has a "fat fin" as wikipedia calls it. Its between the dorsal and the caudel fin. I find it weird cause none of the oscar pics I see on google have that, even ones as juvi as mine. Do I have an oscar or what? Can someone knowledgeable on oscars pls tell me what I have?

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post up a pic, should be able to tell at that size. Males would have the Jag pattern by now where as the female pretty much stays the same when they're sold at that small size.

I had 2 purchased different times and turned out they were male and female.

The male outgrew the female and was one of the most aggressive fish I've ever owned. If I didn't have a lid, this thing would have died many times on the floor just jumping at my hand when i feed it pellets.

sjsoto

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thanks for the info. I'm new to cichlids so don't know how to sex them. Ill be posting pics soon. Also the jag was picking at my small dempsey. Returned the dempsey and bought a bigger one. About 4inches. Ill be posting pics of jag, dempsey so you guys can help me identify female or male. Also, what sex is the firemouth? I psoted pics of it. Can you tell by the pics posted?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: