ilyreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone

I have a 15 gal planted aquarium with 3 corys, now 4 neon tetras, one male betta, rams-horn snails and 2 apple snails.

The neon tetras are the newest to the tank. I original bought six, and at first betta was chasing them but there was no fin nipping and after a few hours he learned to just leave then alone. About a month later i found one dead on the bottom of the tank it looked like the other fish had been eating it so i was unable to tell what happened. Then this morning (about 2 weeks from the last incident) on of the neon's has his fins all ripped and white along his bak (but was still swimming around). I assumed that it was the other neons picking on him and planned on buying some more ( i read that if there is aggression among the neon tetras that you should increase the school size). When i went back to check on him he was in the betta fish mouth. =/

Betta is now in a separate tank. Was he just trying to eat him because he was injured? or was he injured because betta was trying to eat him? This must have happened at night because during the day there is no aggression. They are all well feed betta has a big belly on him.

Any ideas on what happened, and if i will ever be able to put betta back with the neon tetras with out them getting hurt?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I would keep the betta in his own tank as he shouldn't be in a heated tank anyway.

Also keep in mind that neon tetras are sensitive to water quality issues, so try and stay on top of your parameters.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Betta's can vary by fish I've had some I've been able to keep in with various colorful longfinned fish, and others that would go on a murderous rampage at the sign of any other life in their tank. Sounds like this one would be better suited to being alone.

Jzhou

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I'd be careful with the temp with the neons. Although they are considered "tropical" they have the tendency of deforming and then dying when the temp is 80 or above. As for the betta, as long as there isn't a hug difference between the tank temp and the room temp you should be fine. Because of how they breathe atmospheric oxygen the difference in temp can causes their "lungs" to expand and contract so much that it kills them.

ilyreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update everyone. The next day there was another neon tetra that had fin damage (not as bad) I was able to put in a separate tank for awhile and he made a full recovery. This made me realize that it must have been the other tetras (because the beta was no longer in the tank). I did some research and and read that if your tetras are fighting the best solution is to get more (increase the school size). I went out to the LFS and bought 6 more (bringing my school up to 11 tetras) and re-introduced the one that was getting picked on as well as the beta.

There has been no problems since =)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: