• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW
A

Anonymous

I have a 55 planted tank. Some snails got in the tank on some of my plants and they have multiplied like rabbits and are eating my plants. Is a clown loach my best bet? I only saw 1 snail at first and ignored it. Now there are hundreds of them and my plants are suffering.

Andrew

A

Anonymous

clown loach is da bomb-but get a group of at least three, and watch the temp-they are more apt to get 'ich' than many other species of fish, and don't tolerate temp changes very well

they should all but eliminate your snails within a month or less :)

A

Anonymous

I also had hundreds of snails. We bought a puffer fish and he immediately began assassinating them. A few days later they were all gone. The beginner freshie book I'm reading, though, says 'a puffer will make your other fish suffer' but goes into no more detail. He didn't seem to bother my fish (community tank). Vitz, can you weigh in on puffers?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 'common' 'figure 8' or green spotted puffers can be wolves in sheep's clothing, and are well know for sneaking bites in here and there to other fish-almost always when the owner's not there ;)

the african puffers (may be some from sa, as well) that have the very upturned snout and lie about doing nothing are 'ambush' predators, afaik, though i've seen some actually get insanely fond of pellet food, and they might not be fish 'ambushers' anyway-so i can't say as to how they'd do, or whether or not they eat snails

the first two will also do better with a decent amount of salt in the water, being more brackish fish, but should still be fine (ymmv)

keep the puffers well fed, and keep an open eye out, and you'll most likely be ok, though-they need nearly constant good meaty foods to do well long term :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using tap or RO water on this tank? One thing about RO water in freshwater tanks, it's too pure to do snails much good at shell building. If a loach isn't a good choice for your tank for whatever reason, going with RO water can be another option.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
asmith":2n72y5fl said:
I have a 55 planted tank. Some snails got in the tank on some of my plants and they have multiplied like rabbits and are eating my plants. Is a clown loach my best bet? I only saw 1 snail at first and ignored it. Now there are hundreds of them and my plants are suffering.

Andrew
My advice.

Do nothing.

I have had a snail bloom in every planted tank I have started since the late 70's. And about 1/2 dozen a year later. The population adjusts to whatever the tank can substain. Meahwhile the snails are acting as a clean up crew by eating left over food, fish poop, and algae. So actually are desirable.

That said just about any fish can help with population control. Especially with eggs and small snails. My platties are sometimes fighting over a small snail.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I do use RO water in the tank. I was thinking the Clown Loaches would be a good choice, but I heard they can grow pretty large. I think a puffer is probably out if they can be aggressive as I have a bunch of neon tetras in the tank and they probably wouldn't last too long.

Beaslbob:

The reason I have this problem is because I didn't do anything about them in the first place. They have cleaned up the algae and are now destroying the plants. I should have picked them out when there were only one or two. but now they are taking over. They might adjust their population when their food supply runs out, but that will also result in planted tank with no plants at the current rate.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
asmith":1qoftigp said:
I was thinking the Clown Loaches would be a good choice, but I heard they can grow pretty large.

They do. That combined with the fact that they should be kept in a group makes them difficult to keep in smaller tanks. Other loaches also eat snails and don't grow quite as large, but still top out around 4" or so, and like clowns need a small group.

You can also try baiting them out by using fresh vegetables in the tank, I've seen zuchinni recommended. Put in the fresh (not blanched) veggies before lights out, come back and remove it in the morning. Supposedly the snails like the taste and so large numbers can be removed this way; I've never tried it myself though.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
asmith":1zxhcd1s said:

Beaslbob:

The reason I have this problem is because I didn't do anything about them in the first place. They have cleaned up the algae and are now destroying the plants. I should have picked them out when there were only one or two. but now they are taking over. They might adjust their population when their food supply runs out, but that will also result in planted tank with no plants at the current rate.

Perhaps you have different snails then I have had all these years with many different tanks. The only plants the snails attack were already sick or dieing anyway.

If you have to do something try putting a cucumber slice in there and see if they attack that. then take out the slice when it is covered with snails.

Best of luck

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a single skunk loach, best snail control I've ever used.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get clown loaches you will have dtsappearing neons. Clowns get to be big fish. The "sid the monkey" loach stays small. You might try pea or dwarf puffers.You don't have to add them to the tank you could set up a small tank for them and drop the snails in. This sloves the fin nipping problem.
I have also had good luck with baby stinkpot turtles hatchlings are smaller than a thumbnail and really cute. If it weren't for the neons I would say baby florida softshell turtles might work since adults are very fond of snails.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ranaman":3d9z5wja said:
If you get clown loaches you will have dtsappearing neons. Clowns get to be big fish. The "sid the monkey" loach stays small. You might try pea or dwarf puffers.You don't have to add them to the tank you could set up a small tank for them and drop the snails in. This sloves the fin nipping problem.
I have also had good luck with baby stinkpot turtles hatchlings are smaller than a thumbnail and really cute. If it weren't for the neons I would say baby florida softshell turtles might work since adults are very fond of snails.

Dwarf puffers are actually pretty nippy.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should point out that a 10" Clown Loach is probably 20 to 25 years old.

Am I the only one laughing at Chips' 333 view thread with no replies? :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The grandpa one below...
Someone give him a mercy posting...no don't...OK do it.....no don't!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: