A

Anonymous

How much salt can an archer fish tolerate?

I'd like to make a mangrove swamp habitat as a filter for my reef, and have archer fish in it.

Currently we have ours in a slightly brackish environment.

A

Anonymous

http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/verts/archer_fish.htm":1kfnwdlh said:
Breeding: It is believed that only the juveniles are found in brackish water while the adults are more solitary and swim out to the coral reefs to breed. 20,000-150,000 eggs are laid. Only a few reach maturity in 1-2 years. Young fish have iridescent yellow patches on their upper body between the dark bands, which perhaps helps them to school together in the muddy waters. As they get older, patches disappear and the black bands get shorter and eventually only seen on the uppermost part of the body.

Don't know much but found that interesting. Perhaps in the marine environment they will breed on ya.

A

Anonymous

Subcomandante Marcos":3091wfim said:
How much salt can an archer fish tolerate?

I'd like to make a mangrove swamp habitat as a filter for my reef, and have archer fish in it.

Currently we have ours in a slightly brackish environment.

Oh! You have an archerfish? That is the fish that first fascinated me, way back in the dark olden ages when I was a kid. I think LBAOP has some on display in a mangrove set-up, along with the silver monos and scats. One of my favorite displays, but I never had a chance to work with their aquarist. Pix?

A

Anonymous

Vintage 10 year old photography...

Attachments

• CIMG3211.jpg
    CIMG3211.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 170
A

Anonymous

I had one as a kid too. I don't remember much else.

I have this idea of creating a whole habitat and then getting some drosophila for it to shoot at.

A

Anonymous

That would be the ultimate in coolness. I think you can take them to full salt... I may have the email of one of the aquarists, but he was my super in the coral lab and I don't know if he works with anything from the brackish displays. Have you searched wetwebmedia yet?

A

Anonymous

seamaiden":qvlqzzja said:
That would be the ultimate in coolness.

That's at least 3 of us that think like 10 year olds. Only one is 10.

:D

I think you can take them to full salt... I may have the email of one of the aquarists, but he was my super in the coral lab and I don't know if he works with anything from the brackish displays.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has done it.

Have you searched wetwebmedia yet?

No. Never heard of it. I will. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Google came up with nothing, and then I realized I had typed "WetBedMedia"

A

Anonymous

Subcomandante Marcos":11il075f said:
Google came up with nothing, and then I realized I had typed "WetBedMedia"

:lol:

Ok, there is a LOT on wwm on this little fish. Here's a quote from just one article (I've got more reading to do). It appears to depend on which species of Toxotes you have. I wanna see it spit stuff down! A YouTube, maybe? :)

Neale Monks":11il075f said:
* Low salinity brackish water
can be defined as water with a specific gravity (or SG) between 1.002 to 1.005. Two sorts of fish can be kept in low salinity water: true brackish water species that need slightly brackish water, and species that are really freshwater fish but happen to be tolerant of slightly brackish water. Among the true, low salinity brackish water fish are orange and green chromides, figure-8 pufferfish, pike livebearers, and knight gobies. Freshwater fish that happen to tolerate brackish water include spiny eels, kribensis, glassfish, the archerfish Toxotes microlepis, and Florida flagfish. Bumblebee gobies and mollies are difficult to place in either group, because in the wild both occur primarily in fresh water. However, in aquaria, they seem to do better when kept in slightly brackish water.

* Mid salinity brackish water
can be defined as species that can be kept successfully at anything from about SG 1.008 right up to full strength seawater at SG 1.025, but with a middling value of SG 1.010 being more than adequate for long term health. Classic examples of mid salinity brackish water fishes are scats, monos, certain archerfish such as Toxotes jaculatrix, Colombian shark catfish, and violet gobies.

Googling within WWM alone has netted me the following using the terms archerfish salinity. It offers the "cached" feature so you can quickly scan for your search terms highlighted in the query results.

A

Anonymous

Seamaiden

One thing that makes me wonder about that information is mollys. Not only do they do better with some salt, they actually thrive and reproduce in full marine salinity.

my .02

A

Anonymous

Actually, if I recollect, there are many species that require a change in salinity (usually fresher from saltier) in order to induce spawning. The exceptions are species such as the highly bred mollies such as Mickey Mouse, while black and wild caught do fantastic if given those more natural conditions.

If you find inconsistencies in articles posted on WWM, I know for a fact that Bob, et alia, like to hear about it. His goal (as you may already know) is to gather the most and best information available. You've been doing this for quite a while now, so you might want to consider writing to the crew. :)

A

Anonymous

I started reading Bob Fenner's archerfish article when our electricity went out.

Is he the kind of guy who answers emails?

A

Anonymous

Yes, he is. You may not get an answer directly from him, but instead from another "crew" member. However, you can be assured that he reads EVERYTHING, and if anything is misstated he most certainly will correct it. His answering personally depends more on whether or not he's on the mainland or in the country (connectivity and all).

There used to be a lady on the crew, Jeni Tyrell, who specializes in brackish puffers and brackish tanks. I don't know if she's still working with WWM, but she has a wealth of knowledge, in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

seamaiden":2l273c4v said:

If you find inconsistencies in articles posted on WWM, I know for a fact that Bob, et alia, like to hear about it. His goal (as you may already know) is to gather the most and best information available. You've been doing this for quite a while now, so you might want to consider writing to the crew. :)

That is an excellent idea! I didn't mean to dispute the article and I am sure it reflects information the author considers accurate. In fact I do agree that mollys do better is brackish water. Just that they also thrive in full marine also. On the archerfish the reference I found would indicate that they can tolerate full marine and even breed.But that may not apply to all acrherfish. Not my experience anyway so just something I read here.

Sub:

Yes Bob Fenner does answer emails or at least a crew member. I even got a reply from Anthony Calfo once on macros/algae filtering out heavy metals.

my .02

A

Anonymous

Gotta love it!!

Already gota reply from Neale.

Neale":265r3yfr said:
-------- Original Message --------
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2008 11:13 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: archerfish, mollys, and marine tanks

Crew.
<Bob,>
I was having discussion on whether archerfish could tolerate full marine salinity. Not being any kind of expert with any knowledge of archerfish I found this link:
http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/verts/archer_fish.htm

Which stated:
"Breeding: It is believed that only the juveniles are found in brackish water
while the adults are more solitary and swim out to the coral reefs to breed.
20,000-150,000 eggs are laid. Only a few reach maturity in 1-2 years. Young
fish have iridescent yellow patches on their upper body between the dark
bands, which perhaps helps them to school together in the muddy waters. As they
get older, patches disappear and the black bands get shorter and eventually
only seen on the uppermost part of the body"
<Hmm... the breeding behaviour of all members of the Toxotidae is very obscure. The story that they breed on coral reefs, or at least in the sea, has been around for a while and may well apply to Toxotes chatareus and Toxotes jaculatrix. But field observations are lacking, and it certainly isn't true for the freshwater species such as T. blythi that live far inland.>
So I guess so.
Another person posted this from wetwebmedia page:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BrackishSubW ... stems.htm_
<This would be me.>
"Low salinity brackish water can be defined as water with a specific
gravity (or SG) between 1.002 to 1.005. Two sorts of fish can be kept in low
salinity water: true brackish water species that need slightly brackish water, and
species that are really freshwater fish but happen to be tolerant of
slightly brackish water. Among the true, low salinity brackish water fish are orange
and green chromides, figure-8 pufferfish, pike livebearers, and knight
gobies. Freshwater fish that happen to tolerate brackish water include spiny eels,
kribensis, glassfish, the archerfish Toxotes microlepis, and Florida
flagfish. Bumblebee gobies and mollies are difficult to place in either group,
because in the wild both occur primarily in fresh water. However, in aquaria, they
seem to do better when kept in slightly brackish water."
<My article there refers to Toxotes microlepis, a species that enters slightly brackish water in parts of its range but is otherwise a true freshwater fish. It tolerates low salinities, but as salinity goes up, becomes distinctly nervous and stressed.>
There would seem to be some inconsistencies between these two articles.
<Nope, not at all. They're talking about two different species. Simply because they're in the same genus, Toxotes, doesn't mean they have identical requirements. Indeed, what these archerfish effectively do is "divide up" ecological space between them. One species (T. jaculatrix) inhabits mangroves and river mouths, and the other (T. microlepis) lives in the river proper.>
Perhaps because the WWM article was aimed at people keeping brackish tanks. I
know from experience that mollys do better with brackish water but the article
is silent on full marine tanks.
<On the whole, Archers do not like to be kept in marine tanks. Toxotes chatareus and Toxotes jaculatrix can be kept best at SG 1.010 or thereabouts, and all the other species at less than SG 1.005, in some cases preferably in straightforward hard, neutral to alkaline freshwater.>
Mollys in my experience thrive and breed at
marine salinities. Some aquarium shops even use then to keep the bioload up
while awaiting shipments.
<Indeed. But this is different, because Mollies are hybrids, while Archerfish are rather a selection of species that come from different habitats. Toxotes chatareus, Toxotes jaculatrix, and T. microlepis are all widely traded but rarely identified correctly by retailers. Telling them apart is important if you want to optimise living conditions, though SG 1.005 will suit them all just fine if you can't separate them.>
I just wondered what your thoughts are and whether archerfish can be kept at
marine salinities.
<There's no real advantage to doing this, and unless you can securely identify the specimens in your tank, I wouldn't risk it. Stick a freshwater archer in a marine tank and you'll probably kill it. At the very least, it won't be very happy.>
Bob
<Cheers, Neale.>

Looks like mollys are diffeent and most if not all archerfish should not be a marine salinities. Plus it depends on which archerfish is in question.

Seamaiden thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks to Neale also.

A

Anonymous

Very welcome! :D

So, does SubC know which species he has..?

Gotta go outside for the bonfire. 'Tis snowing, dumping actually.

A

Anonymous

Freshwater fish that happen to tolerate brackish water include spiny eels,
because in the wild both occur primarily in fresh water. However, in aquaria, they

The terms he needs to be talking about here are stenohaline - tolerates a narrow range of salinity, and eurynaline - species which tolerate a wide range of salinity. Mollies are out and out members of the second group, as is Toxotes jaculatrix and Toxotes chatareus.

Then, I was a crew member for a long time, go figure. :wink:

A

Anonymous

JimM":1n8ifvya said:
Freshwater fish that happen to tolerate brackish water include spiny eels,

The terms he needs to be talking about here are stenohaline - tolerates a narrow range of salinity, and eurynaline - species which tolerate a wide range of salinity. Mollies are out and out members of the second group, as is Toxotes jaculatrix and Toxotes chatareus.

Then, I was a crew member for a long time, go figure. :wink:

thanks Jim

Oh dern

More big words to remember. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the posts. As usual, I hadn't actually done anything yet.

A

Anonymous

Subcomandante Marcos":1sxvx4xo said:
Thanks for the posts. As usual, I hadn't actually done anything yet.

Well... :lol: At least you're giving yourself the rolly eyes this time.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: