• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

tah532

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my daughters 2.5 freshwater tank going over 2 months now and have been thru 3 different goldfish and 2 bettas. All of which slowly over the course of 4-5 days seem to get weak and eventually sink to the bottom and finally die. I have taken the water to the fishstore to be analyzed and have tested myself, and ph, ammonia and nitrites are at very good to 0 levels. I only place RO water in the tank. It has a Elite Hush 5 filter. This is getting to be very frustrating and I am ready to throw the entire tank in the trash. What might be the problem? Maybe the type of fish? Should I try a couple platys or guppys?
I have run saltwater tanks now for over 5 years without any problems like this. Maybe I should convert it to a saltwater tank with some liverock, a goby, and some crabs.?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a substrate that is 1/2" peat moss with 1" sand on top of that.

add anacharis in back so thick you can not see the back wall. (3-4 bunches)

then some small plants in front with a java as a centerpeice.

Let set 1 week.

add 1 male platy. don't add food for a week.

add 1 female platy and start feeding 1 flake per day.

Should have a tank full of platys in 6 months.

just my .02

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tah532":5dvp667a said:
I set up my daughters 2.5 freshwater tank going over 2 months now and have been thru 3 different goldfish and 2 bettas. All of which slowly over the course of 4-5 days seem to get weak and eventually sink to the bottom and finally die. I have taken the water to the fishstore to be analyzed and have tested myself, and ph, ammonia and nitrites are at very good to 0 levels. I only place RO water in the tank. It has a Elite Hush 5 filter. This is getting to be very frustrating and I am ready to throw the entire tank in the trash. What might be the problem? Maybe the type of fish? Should I try a couple platys or guppys?
I have run saltwater tanks now for over 5 years without any problems like this. Maybe I should convert it to a saltwater tank with some liverock, a goby, and some crabs.?

what's your temp ?

does anyone clean the outside glass w/any cleaners ?

fyi-100% ro water will do in most goldfish, and will be very uncomfortable for most fw fish-you should try adding about 1/2-1 tsp of aquarium salt/gal to the ro water prior to usage ;)

i wouldn't put a goldfish in anything smaller than a 20 gal tank ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: