crittercrazed

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up my third aquarium for freshwater fish. I used silica sand aka Handy Sand. I rinsed it and put it in two days ago. It is cloudy. It was pretty clear this morning but the dust keeps sticking to the inside of the glass and when i wash it off it gets cloudy all over again. Any ideas??? :roll:

Attachments

• DSC06531.JPG
    DSC06531.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 120
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a hold of a Magnum filter with the DE cartridge? Stir it up and run the filter, which will polish the water up, get rid of those superfine particulates.

Whatcha gonna stock it with?

crittercrazed

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see if i can find one near me....or order one online. As far as what im gonna stock it with, i haven't decided yet. I have access to a discus breeder near me. There are so many fish i like that i may do community fish??? I have a VERY nice bala shark i more or less rescued that needs to go into the larger tank...he is currently in with my discus in the 30 gallon..but then i'll have to get a few more balas so he won't be lonely....and i have two huge plecos..i love them but MAN the poop is getting on my nerves. Lots of clean up there.....i'll take suggestions on fish types though?? i like fish that are 'aware' of the outside world and don't want to bother with the types that aren't.
Val

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would not keep balas with discus because in my experience balas are flighty at best. I also am a big fan of the biotope. My husband and I have actually discussed setting up another tank, and at best we can agree that we'd both like discus and from there the agreement ends. I would house the discus with fishes like cardinal tetras and have it very heavily planted. He wants it to be a species tank.

If I were doing balas, then I would include fish like the barbs. For discus I want calmer fishes that don't tend to nip at fins and the like. But if it's a display that's working for you, then go for it.

If you can't find a Magnum then any canister filter with a mechanical filtration cartridge that can get out fine particles will be the answer.

crittercrazed

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. Normally i know balas are like that but mine is a very nice fish...he doesn't bother anyone. But i do think i am going to stick with the discus. They have such expressive eyes and run right up to the tank when they see me.
Val

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the bacterial processes in the tank get going the tiny particles will start to clump up and not stick to everything or kick up as easily.

Hey SM- my vote is for your plan, FWIW.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: