A

Anonymous

Ok I decided to shut down my reef today and convert it to a planted tank. This will be my first attempt at a planted tank. Does anyone have any recommendations? What substrate should I use. What type of circulation? I have a 2x55 watt CF light kit and a 2x18watt T5 fixture.

A

Anonymous

Snailman":1jig0df3 said:
Louey":1jig0df3 said:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/

Get a co2 bottle, regulator, and ph controller.

Louey

Like a CO2 reactor for a reef aquarium?

The co2 bottle a regulator are the same. But you don't need a reactor or any kind of media. It simply adds the c02 into the water and maintains the PH at the same time. The plants need the c02.

Planted tanks are cool. I had one for awhile. But I prefer marine tanks.

Why do you want to change from salt to fresh?

Louey

A

Anonymous

I still have a 90 gallon tank that I take care of. That will take care of the marine bug. :)

I see that the C02 regulators are still really pricey. Can Do they have anything to use Paintball cylinders?

A

Anonymous

All I do is add a mix of fast growing and slower growing plants with a substrate that contains some peat moss during setup.

then let the tank take care of itself.

No filter, no co2, no circulation, no water changes, untreated tap water and just replace what evaporates.

my .02

A

Anonymous

Well I cleaned out the rest of the saltwater and live sand last night. I sprayed everything out real good and move the tank down to the basement. I added 2 bags of Eco-Complete. I was going to do layers per Beaslbob but the store that sold all of that stuff decided to go out of business over the weekend. This afternoon at lunch I filled up the tank with water. I decided to run a canister filter so that I could use an inline heater so that I could keep everything out of the tank. The basement tends to stay around 60 degrees in the winter and 70 in the summer. I may have to add a second heater to the tank in the winter time.

I am going to run by the one remaining shop in town to see what wood and rock he has for sale. It will be a bit tricky since my tank is very tall and not that deep.

A

Anonymous

I should be able to raise enough money this weekend to pay for all of this stuff. There is a saltwater conference in town and I have over 50 rose anemone clones right now!! 8O

A

Anonymous

Well I received a bunch of plants this morning and stuck them in the tank at lunch time. I need to figure out where to arrange everything. The small piece of drift wood on the left side got covered up by all the plants. I think I should put another piece on that side. Does anyone have any thoughts on placement of the plants?

Attachments

• 37Gallon.JPG
    37Gallon.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 208
A

Anonymous

The heater on the right is going going to go bye bye when I receive my in-line hydor heater.

A

Anonymous

Snailman":3pcab8wz said:
The heater on the right is going going to go bye bye when I receive my in-line hydor heater.

If it is in a air conditions and heated room, I do not use and do not recommend heaters.

my .02

A

Anonymous

beaslbob":1zfqfoba said:
Snailman":1zfqfoba said:

If it is in a air conditions and heated room, I do not use and do not recommend heaters.

my .02

The tank is down in my basement and I keep the house 65 in the winter.

A

Anonymous

Snailman":2dkbwvgp said:
beaslbob":2dkbwvgp said:
Snailman":2dkbwvgp said:

my .02

IME that would probable still be ok.

I have two tanks that have heaters that are on my back porch. a fw planted and a mixed reef. Both routinely hit an actual water temperature of 65F in the winter even with the heaters. Fish plants and corals do fine.

my .02

A

Anonymous

beaslbob":mzdyvnjv said:
Snailman":mzdyvnjv said:
beaslbob":mzdyvnjv said:
Snailman":mzdyvnjv said:

my .02

IME that would probable still be ok.

I have two tanks that have heaters that are on my back porch. a fw planted and a mixed reef. Both routinely hit an actual water temperature of 65F in the winter even with the heaters. Fish plants and corals do fine.

my .02

I don't think my Discus would care for temp's that low.

A

Anonymous

Stock List:

- 7 Neon Tetras
- 2 Gold Rams
- 3 Otocinclus
- 1 Cory Catfish
- 1 Blue Diamond Discus
- 1 Pigeon Blood Discus
- 1 Geren Snakeskin Discus
- 1 small angel

I've been doing 2 15 gallon water changes a week. I will probably back off some as the plants start to grow in. I am feeding some pellet and Live Black Worms. Only one of the Discus is eating the pellet the other two will only eat the live worms. I have tried feeding frozen blood worms and they will eat them and then spit them out. It is really funny to see the tetras eat the worms.

A

Anonymous

Wooo....A couple spots of Ich on two of the three Discus. What's the best way to treat it? Up the temp and add some salt?

Chris

A

Anonymous

beaslbob":4e5g2aug said:
All I do is add a mix of fast growing and slower growing plants with a substrate that contains some peat moss during setup.

then let the tank take care of itself.

No filter, no co2, no circulation, no water changes, untreated tap water and just replace what evaporates.

my .02
They hate it when you say that stuff. :P

A

Anonymous

Snailman":2rjh9y10 said:
Well I received a bunch of plants this morning and stuck them in the tank at lunch time. I need to figure out where to arrange everything. The small piece of drift wood on the left side got covered up by all the plants. I think I should put another piece on that side. Does anyone have any thoughts on placement of the plants?
I like to make it look as natural as possible. So the same species will be clustered together, then trailing off into another plant species. I would put some taller plants in the front as well as middle and back, again to mimic nature, but it also helps to bring out more timid fish. Definitely more driftwood, and if you can find it and get it rooted in water, maybe some arrowhead plant to create a bit of a canopy in a corner.
Snailman":2rjh9y10 said:
Wooo....A couple spots of Ich on two of the three Discus. What's the best way to treat it? Up the temp and add some salt?

Chris
With the plants..? No, I wouldn't use salt. Are they scratching?

A

Anonymous

seamaiden":1kflc6r0 said:
Snailman":1kflc6r0 said:
I like to make it look as natural as possible. So the same species will be clustered together, then trailing off into another plant species. I would put some taller plants in the front as well as middle and back, again to mimic nature, but it also helps to bring out more timid fish. Definitely more driftwood, and if you can find it and get it rooted in water, maybe some arrowhead plant to create a bit of a canopy in a corner.
Snailman":1kflc6r0 said:

Chris
With the plants..? No, I wouldn't use salt. Are they scratching?

No scratching yet but there are more spots of ich on the fish.

A

Anonymous

I have always hated treating planted tanks. It's been so many years, but if I recollect you can't use copper compounds with the otocinclus, so I'm wondering if formalin compounds would be applicable, useful or safe here. It's been too many years, Chris.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: