TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
3 years is not a miracle for a betta Kathy lol I've seen goldfish and bettas live in lil bowls for 5+ years..unbelievable how they can survive with so little lol. My aunt has had bettas for about 6 years. I'd say they change the water almost never. I don't know how often you change your water Nelson but maybe the water was too clean that it shocked him lol Did you add stress coat or any other tap water conditioner to the water?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
3 years is not a miracle for a betta Kathy lol I've seen goldfish and bettas live in lil bowls for 5+ years..unbelievable how they can survive with so little lol. My aunt has had bettas for about 6 years. I'd say they change the water almost never. I don't know how often you change your water Nelson but maybe the water was too clean that it shocked him lol Did you add stress coat or any other tap water conditioner to the water?

I didn't say it was a miracle Trigger, just pointing out that MOST people don't manage to get them to live for anything close to 3 years.
Goldfish should live a LOT longer than 5 + years and they should not live in a little bowl. They require the same care as a tropical fish and about 10g of water per goldfish. The main difference being you don't need a heater for them.

Sorry for your loss Nelson. RIP Willie

Leezon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As you know Beta's are labyrinth fish and breath from the same air you breath. Have you sprayed any type of chemical into the air and any other type of something that could be in the air he breathes?

I used to breed Thai beta's and I think its disgusting seeing them being kept in small bowls and the way LFS' sell/keep them in tiny plastic containers etc that never get water changes... I'd like to see these people skin after living in their own urine!

Rant over :)

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I used to breed Thai beta's and I think its disgusting seeing them being kept in small bowls and the way LFS' sell/keep them in tiny plastic containers etc that never get water changes... I'd like to see these people skin after living in their own urine!

Rant over :)

Amen to that!

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Kat you are right and it probably is close to a miracle lol Most people that buy bettas do it as an impulse buy and often lose interest fast so they probably do not live long in most circumstances. I always wondered about the keeping in tiny spaces but I found out that it actually imitates their real life living conditions. Where they are from I forget where but they are in small ponds that often dry up for long periods of time and leave tiny puddles in which they basically adapt to live in.

Leezon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Kat you are right and it probably is close to a miracle lol Most people that buy bettas do it as an impulse buy and often lose interest fast so they probably do not live long in most circumstances. I always wondered about the keeping in tiny spaces but I found out that it actually imitates their real life living conditions. Where they are from I forget where but they are in small ponds that often dry up for long periods of time and leave tiny puddles in which they basically adapt to live in.

They are found in Thailand, natively in rice fields and small streams that run down the sides of fields.

I don't have a problem with them being kept in small spaces, but there is a limit... its not so much the space I have a problem with, its the myth that many have that they think Beta's water doesn't need to be changed. They believe this because its an air breathing fish, however the ammonia still burns their bodies.

Yes they are found in muddy gutters of fields, but these streams/gutters have a bio system

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Hey believe me I don't disagree I think it's both cruel and disgusting. Personally I'm not at all a fan of bettas so I would never get one. Realistically though since it is such a small environment you would probably have to change the water every day or every other day and most people are lazy. Unfortunately this is the way they are sold..to be appealing due to how cheap they are and how little they require to survive.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Perhaps the warmer temps are affecting him too Nelson?

You mentioned using ro/di as part of his water change, have you tried just aged tap with him lately? The di part of the ro/di may not be agreeing with him.

Glad he's hanging in though! :fish:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: