dj ze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
i ran one years ago i had a 56 gallon it's a lot of work even more than a reef but it can be really beautiful i still miss it today you would need to buy the dirt for it dose trace elements and supply oxygen with a difuser lighting consists of 2 to 3 wt per gallon power compacts are excellent but led's now would be even better and water is best kept at 78 to 80 degrees if done right you have to be constantly pruning just like a garden
ze_saltwater_fishtank_019.jpg
ze_saltwater_fishtank_021.jpg

dj ze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
yes at times it can be more work than some reef setups depending on the selection of plants some plants are more demanding than others just like corals but like i said if done right you could be cutting down plants every other day i had plants growing out of the tank every week depending on the size of the tank you don't need an oxygen tank you can suplement with another method but oxygen is the best way to go i still have the equipment if your interested

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
+1 on bizzarro
That's the site that I frequently go to for my FW tanks.
Here are some shots of my FW set up.

My fluval edge before converting it to a mini reef
P1070583.jpg

20gal Long
P1070577.jpg

10g divided tank holding 2 shrimp species
P1070582.jpg

P1070814.jpg
P1070797.jpg

Another divided 10g as plant trimming holding/endler tank and blue shrimp specie tank
P1070776.jpg

P1070792.jpg
P1070771.jpg

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Your FW tanks are amazing Jeff. I think you'll have no problem with SW just by looking at how well your planted aquariums look. I will have to PM you about shrimps and snails soon, my assassins ate every single snail and are now cannibalistic:)

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
@smoq - Thanks. I have a lot of pond snails, ramshorn snails and I just recently got some malaysian trumpet snails. Just let me know and i can send a lot of em your way.
Assassins are real cannibals and will hunt every other snail specie together with them in your tank.:dead1:

@fishman1069 - Thanks too. Good thing your wife is into fish tanks too. Mine is asking me to cut down on tanks.:frown:
Plantedtank.net is a really good resource or APC is a good one too for her to start research.
Feel free to ask me too and I'll do what I can to help you get started in planted tanks as well.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Thanks xDAVMANx.
I just took down the 2 10gallons I have and have it in just 1 20 gal long divided into 3 slots. The wife commaned that I downsize in tank number so I said I'll just combine them into 1 so she can get her kitchen space back.:D
They'll be planted shrimp breeding and endler breeding tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: