Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I have a mystery wrasse that has my population under control , hes always swimming around with a bloated belly lol but yeah thae melanarus wrasse in my opinion is the better muncher.

I have melanarus,mystery and a sixline, I don't know who to blame but all have nice fat bellies.

BTW a big shot out to a good close special buddy of mine for the mystery wrasse, he gave it to me as a gift.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Thanks guys I wasn't even thinking wrasse. Melanarus is 1 of my fav fish anyway so I guess there's my excuse to get one.

As far as reasoning they have been destroying my corals. I was away for 5 days in queens getting some stuff done at my dad's house and when I came back to li 1 of my nicest acan colonies was dying. After blowing it off and watching it die more and more I noticed bristle worms all over it and making holes in it. Also living inside 1 of my blasto colonies. They literally popped out of a hole on the side of the head and starting eating the food out of the mouth when I fed yesterday.

According to something I read,if there isn't enough food in the system they WILL eat corals. I have another thread going about my acan turning to jelly it talks more about it.

If anyone wants any bristle worms for their fuge or anything feel free to take some free of charge :wink1:

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Damsels are helpful, since they are very versitle. Just have to keep them hungry.
My 3-stripe damsel eats brisle worms and my yellow tail damsel eats flatworms. What can I say, they are a couple of years old, and I only fed them 2-3 times a week, so they learned to forage. Speaking about flatworms, when I kept mollies in my sump, they also cleared out the flatworms, diatoms and cyanobacterial film. They are like goldfish, trying to eat everything.

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
My 6-line loves them. Don't know how he can swallow those bristles! As for the worms, they are scavengers and will eat any dead animal, including coral flesh. I'm not sure they are to blame for your coral's decline. Have you tested for nitrates, phosphates etc. lately?

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Yes Robin I actually did check my params for once lol. I usually don't because my system is pretty self sustaining. I only have 2 clowns in there and some snails besides coral. A cleaner shrimp and a few hermits in sump. I like to keep my bio load very low for easy maintenance. I actually had a six line that I loved but he did not make the move. I had him in a bucket and while I was setting up the tank forgot about him and by the time I remembered he was dead. :shocked: I always loved the melanarus though so I'll be getting one this weekend.

As far as the params they were spot on where they should be and everything else in the tank is perfect except for a few things being bothered by aiptasia.

This acan is the only 1 that is having an issue there is 2 other large colonies right next to it and they are perfectly fine no signs of any die off at all so it's very strange. I cleaned it off very well last night and have it in a high flow spot but it looks like it's all going to go. I'm thinking it got some type of bacterial infection from the worms burrowing into it.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
i had the mel. wrasse and bought specifically for this purpose. I didnt ever see it eat and of the worms, but a recent breakdown of my tank and i only found one fatty so it must have had some. It also snacked on a few snails....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: