Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Just had a general question wanted to know if it is okay to go from one salt mix to another i recently ran out of ESV ( which im not getting ever again ) but i only have Instant Ocean 200 gallons of it will i be okay have to do a water change today and its the regular IO not Reef Crystals

Rating - 100%
141   0   0
I switch salts my self about 2 months ago. I was using esv and changed over to h2o. Didnt effect my fish or coral. But imo u MAY have to dose more with i.o. If you have corals

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I spoke to a salt manufacturer at MACNA and he was very adamant that changing from one salt to another is going to have an impact on ANY tank. Basically each salt has a certain ion fingerprint and if you have been using one salt for a long time the livestock is used to that type. If you change salts it may cause a negative or positive reaction in your animals. The gist of the conversation was that customers mistake these reactions for one salt being better than another.

So just pay attention to what the tank is telling you and do the water changes as minimally as you can.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
when changing salts, i generally do much smaller water changes to start to keep the change and adjustment as gradual as possible. you should acclimate your system to the new salt just as you would acclimate new specimens to your system. Try to start with 5% changes gradually increasing as your system adjusts to the new salt.

Rating - 100%
141   0   0
I deff will not do i.o. And then h2o. I feel that it will really throw it all out of wack. To switch and then switch again. So if ur going to get h2o just do that. And dont waist ur time with i.o.

no more esv cause it almost made my tank crash too many parts for me k.i.s.s for me and i have a calcium reactor so i should be fine until i get the h20 salt myself just didnt wanna shock my corals theve been throuigh enough lol

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
IO is terrible. I just got a batch which sent my mag over 1700. Obviously thats not the case for all IO salt, but there is a reason its the cheapest...

ESV is a bit of a pain, but from the short time ive been using it, its pretty great to be able to exactly control your levels. But after I go through it im switching to RedSea.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
IO is terrible. I just got a batch which sent my mag over 1700. Obviously thats not the case for all IO salt, but there is a reason its the cheapest...

ESV is a bit of a pain, but from the short time ive been using it, its pretty great to be able to exactly control your levels. But after I go through it im switching to RedSea.

ESV is a bit of a pain but im tired of the mixing i think im gonna go back to Coral Pro by red sea cause its a little harder to get the H20 I only have one more batch of ESV left i hope i get my salt before my last esv runs out

Downbeach

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a few buckets of H2Ocean last year, for about 60.00 ea. on sale. They were the largest I'm aware of @ 23 kg, and advertise 152 to 182 gal. It was good salt and I got about 160 gal. @ 1.026. The price is now in the mid 70's, so I'm back to Reef Crystals. @ 42.00 for a 200 gal. box it's hard to justify the other "premium" brands.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: