skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
So how would you end up testing a skimmer with brand new water... and brand new salt without any waste/nutrients in the water... and you also want to put into consideration the time to prep that water with salt for dissolving. For that amount of time it's easier to wait for a WC and deal with water that was pulled direct from the tank that has nutrients to test the skimmer with.

jcohen9999

Overkill Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
So in my case the kosher salt was what I needed to test the pump/venturi combo as I was replacing a dead pump with a totally different brand and gph (on the plus side) but I knew what I was expecting as far as size/quantity of bubbles.

But Skene has a point. If I were testing a totally new skimmer on a brand new system I guess I would be able to fully test it until there was bioload.

On the plus side I know have a skimmer for my new (to me) FOWLR setup :)

Thanks, all.

Jeff

jcohen9999

Overkill Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Why would you like to test the skimmer out of your tank in the first place-not sure if you want to keep it?

Not sure really :)

But in this case it was a skimmer that I used to use until the pump broke and now I am trying to resurrect it for a new tank. Since I was going to be taking it in and out to adjust it I thought just putting into a rubbermaid would be a better idea. Plus my sump is 100% filled with rock now.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Not sure really :)

But in this case it was a skimmer that I used to use until the pump broke and now I am trying to resurrect it for a new tank. Since I was going to be taking it in and out to adjust it I thought just putting into a rubbermaid would be a better idea. Plus my sump is 100% filled with rock now.

I think it will be best if you test it in your tank, otherwise you won't be sure if it meets your expectations.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: