• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

REEF MANIA

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
My tank is off level by 1/2" front to back. Do I need to shim my stand 1/2" or will that be okay. I have a canopy with 3" overhang. So I'm not worried about the water line. Just worried if its safe for my in laws in the basement and don't want my tank to break.

My tank is a standard 180 gallon 72x24x24. The front is level 72" side.

I would love some educated advice. Thanks Joe

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Level the tank on all sides before filling it up to avoid problems at a later date. I use vinyl tiles as shims as they don't compress as much.

kkaz642

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Shim the tank before you fill the tank. Or you will have problems with the water level overflow use plenty or shims that's what I did at my 90. My first 55 gl I didn't shim gave me a complex every time I walked by and it moved back and forth thought it was gonna fall over ... Lol good luck

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Is the tank full? If not u don't need to lift it high to kick a shim under, then adjust it. If it's full have to drain some water and then put it back in. I used composite shims from home depot worked well. an extra set of hands would be a huge help

REEF MANIA

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
@ albano the room is 11' wide the other end of the room is 2 1/2" lower. I assume that's how the house settled. For some reason the center of my house from the front to the back is higher. Each side of my house is about 2 1/2" lower. But my tank is above the garage wall. Which is solid block. I think I will be okay. Also put the long side of my tank opposite of the beams below.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Glad you took care of it!:) My tank sat unleveled for 5 years, and although nothing happened I lived with the fear of coming down any morning to find my tank had split, and all the water sitting on my basement floor.:yikes: Had it leveled this year when we changed out the stand. I no longer have nightmares.:)

REEF MANIA

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
I had to do the right thing my in-laws sleep right under my tank in the walk-in apt. Also gives me piece of mind since, I still like going on cruises at least once a year. I would hate to come home to a disaster.

It's getting there. I made 120 gallons of water so far. I went with Dry Caribsea Figi Pink Aragonite sand. I have about 150 pounds of live rock so far. Picking up another 300 pounds of Live Rock tomorrow from my buddies 600 gallon reef tank. So I hoping for a fast cycle. Can't wait to add fish and coral. My kids are driving me crazy to add Nemo and Dori. I would think its safe bet to wait at least 6 weeks before I add any nice fish and corals. Maybe I will add a few small Chromis too hold them over.

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
I had to do the right thing my in-laws sleep right under my tank in the walk-in apt. Also gives me piece of mind since, I still like going on cruises at least once a year. I would hate to come home to a disaster.

It's getting there. I made 120 gallons of water so far. I went with Dry Caribsea Figi Pink Aragonite sand. I have about 150 pounds of live rock so far. Picking up another 300 pounds of Live Rock tomorrow from my buddies 600 gallon reef tank. So I hoping for a fast cycle. Can't wait to add fish and coral. My kids are driving me crazy to add Nemo and Dori. I would think its safe bet to wait at least 6 weeks before I add any nice fish and corals. Maybe I will add a few small Chromis too hold them over.

I think 200 lbs is more thank enough for your tank of 180. You won't have much swimming space for the fishes wih 450 lbs of rock, way over kill!!!! Also, I think a week is fine if your rock is fully life rock. You only have a mini cycle.

REEF MANIA

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
Not even close I'm considering breaking it down already. I just had a leak from the bulkhead going to one of the drain lines. Just found a flood in my house.
dsc00596.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: