• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
So after bragging how diligent I am about keeping my caulerpa macros contained in the fuge, guess what I came home to yesterday? If you guessed macros in my DT you are unfortunately correct. They must have been deep in the rock that I thought was clean from my upgrade, almost a year ago and have finally grown out of the rock. Its a pretty decent size rock. Gonna be a pain to get out, but it needs to be done. (I fought these macros and lost once before in my 72bf). So much livestock to move and some definite re-stacking. Its gonna be an interesting day. Not to mention the attack I was under from one of my yellowtail damsels. Little guy came at me from across the tank! Well, wish me luck as I head forth into battle! Any ideas to make this task easier are greatly appreciated. If anyone local feels like lending a hand, I have a purple tip branching acro that needs to be fragged before it dies completely. You are welcome to a piece along with some free macros! Thanks!

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Well the question here is, how many rocks are starting to display the caulerpa? If it is not many maybe you can isolate/remove that rock if it is not too far down into your rock wall.

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
There are 3 rocks that are affected. 2 are zoa colonies, and the 3rd is a pretty big pc that isn't too far down. I just need to move a few frags, and a few frogspawn colonies. Its just not gonna be fun. Not sure if the larger rock is supporting other rocks on top (its hard to tell where one rock ends, and the next begins). I forgot the exact size of the rock, it kind of blends into the others. Not to mention damsels picking at my hand constantly. Lol. Little bugger. Not sure if i want to use the kalkwasser and create a problem that could be worse.

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Its a mix of prolifera and serrulata. I have set up a 10g with a heater so I can remove the corals/rock that might fall. Gonna try to do this very carefully. Gonna leave the light out while I'm working in the tank to thwart any further damsel attacks. Basically, gonna rip my tank apart to get these rocks out. Check the marketplace in a bit, might have some zoa frags to give away soon. Wish me luck, I'm going in!

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Fast forward a few hours of painstaking work. Removed the worst infected rock, fragged infected colonies, dipped the frags in hydro perox, and we are macro free once again in the DT. Anyone want some zoa frags? Check the marketplace. Free.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: