• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jbjints

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I broke the bulb clip on my light fixture and I plan on soldering the broken piece back but I will need something to hold the new bulb in place because it is smaller in diameter than my old bulb. Can I use a zip tie to hold the PC bulb in place? The PC bulbs are 96 watters.

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
should be ok, providing the bulb does not get too hot. Can you touch the bulb when its on and hold your finger there for a period of time?

Also, I know you said you plan on fixing the broken part, but don't plan on this zip tie being your fix. The zip tie will eventually get brittle, snap, and the bulb will fall.

Jim C.

jbjints

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm in the process of buying a T5 but the T5 owner won't be receiving his light fixture for 3-4 weeks so I only need the zip ties to last 3 weeks.

Russ, the PC bulbs I bought are Hamilton which are smaller diameter bulbs from the PC bulbs I had. I do not remember which PC bulbs I had but I was told that all I needed to do was squeeze the clip around the Hamilton bulbs and that I'd be fine. If I remember in the AM ill try to take a pic of the two bulbs so you can see the difference but both bulbs are 96 watts a piece.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: