jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
While I agree that learning the migration patterns of certain shark species can be helpful for many reasons, I can't help but to think that some of these "research" organizations are created, backed by science, to receive a surplus of grants and donations. I feel that many research and conservation organizations are all about the money. I won't comment on this further. Just throwing the thought out there.

Sharkbait420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think he is an automated spammer or someone who doesn't have a good understanding of the English language.. His posts make no sense. He also used question marks instead of periods. I am not trying to be the grammer police I just think its a spammer.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Research is expensive, and money is tight. Grants are hard to get, and competition is fierce...the lab where my son got the PhD in his MD/PhD closed shortly after he left....no one else was a skilled at writing grants for the NIH, so the money dried up. And this was for medical research...the kind that can directly benefit people.Unfortunately, the consequence, especially when your research involves charismatic megafauna, is this kind of gimmick to raise as much money as possible. If their research was on 1" gobies, forget it....they'd be screwed.

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Research is expensive, and money is tight. Grants are hard to get, and competition is fierce...the lab where my son got the PhD in his MD/PhD closed shortly after he left....no one else was a skilled at writing grants for the NIH, so the money dried up. And this was for medical research...the kind that can directly benefit people.Unfortunately, the consequence, especially when your research involves charismatic megafauna, is this kind of gimmick to raise as much money as possible. If their research was on 1" gobies, forget it....they'd be screwed.

Perfectly agreed, that is why I decided to not try and get into a lab after my post doc... spending your time trying to match the latest fad on your grant appliance = not fun.

I admire people who stick to research, because the amount of work they put is tremendous, yet everybody else thinks they are doing nothing and just enjoying the tax money.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I got out of research before I got my PhD. Just couldn't hack it...and decided that since I was a TA, and enjoyed the teaching so much more than the research, even my professor agreed that I should go into teaching...which I did. He himself got screwed over when his old line ichthyology research became unfashionable.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: