jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a lawnmower blenny (algae blenny) who i just love. he is always hopping around the tank nipping at algae on the rocks and glass.

But since he is always eating and has a full belly he is ALWAYS POOPING.
There is poop all over my sand and rocks, every day or two i suck out as much as i can but it is really starting to get ridiculous.

I have a clean up crew of hermit crabs, different snails, and a cleaner shrimp but they dont help with poop.
Is there any animal that will actually eat or clean the blenny's waste or am i just stuck manually cleaning it?

jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
pic

Attachments

• phpcID4wwPM.jpg
    phpcID4wwPM.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 536

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
nassarius snails. Almost any typical clean up crew.
So, snails, cucumbers, etc. It all depends on what your other tank inhabitants are. Either way, they are detritus eaters, os ...anything goes.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
avoid the sand sifting gobies, besides the point they end up spitting the sand ontop of everything, they are scooping the sand for microflornia,
your pic dont look to be poop but algea or diatoms

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lawnmower blenny (algae blenny) who i just love. he is always hopping around the tank nipping at algae on the rocks and glass.

But since he is always eating and has a full belly he is ALWAYS POOPING.
There is poop all over my sand and rocks, every day or two i suck out as much as i can but it is really starting to get ridiculous.

I have a clean up crew of hermit crabs, different snails, and a cleaner shrimp but they dont help with poop.
Is there any animal that will actually eat or clean the blenny's waste or am i just stuck manually cleaning it?

Fish excrement is probably nutritious only to microbes unless there is undigested food present. The clean up crew's job is to remove algae, uneaten food and dead plants and animals.

How is the water flow in your tank? I would have thought the Blenny's excrement would break up and disperse.

Good luck.

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
The most important part of this pic is to READ the part at the bottom in RED.

IMOP increase your flow and keep siphoning, by increasing your flow you will get the detritus up into the water column and out to your skimmer were it can be removed.
You must export what you import.

f1f8718f8402362926cff17e5a6e3c31_zpsa741e937.jpg

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
avoid the sand sifting gobies, besides the point they end up spitting the sand ontop of everything, they are scooping the sand for microflornia,
your pic dont look to be poop but algea or diatoms

+1

I have a love hare relationship with my goby. Love how nice he keeps the sand but hate that i cant keep anything on the sand without him covering them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: