Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I was wondering... does anyone with 100+ gallon tanks tell their homeowners insurance company that they have a tank? I'm curious if it was to leak/break is your house (floors, ceilings below, etc) covered? Do they charge more for this?

On another note... can you insure the aquarium itself? For example, you have a crash and all fish, corals, etc die. Can you insure that??

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
I don't think anyone does.

If you spill enough water to cause damage some folks fix it, others did not care about their home to begin with, been to places where the fish tank is the only thing that is nice and kept up.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't think anyone does.

If you spill enough water to cause damage some folks fix it, others did not care about their home to begin with, been to places where the fish tank is the only thing that is nice and kept up.

Ha yeah i've seen that too... I'm thinking if my 220g was to break or something, I would be looking at thousands of dollars in repairs of the floor and my basement. Maybe it's just the risk we take?

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i wouldn't dought your ins company will drop you if you said you have a big tank.
insurance companies are in the risk business, but they don't want to take risks.

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
i dont know if you can buy insurance for your tank, but if you have home owners insurance you can be cover for damages your tank causes like furniture,floor,etc...(depending on how much insurance you buy will determine how much they may pay you.)

Last edited:

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Certainly something to ask your home owners insurance carrier if you are concerned.

Here's an old thread from RC which discusses this very point.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828291

I asked my carrier a while back (come to think of it I changed carriers for home insurance so I should probably ask again) and they Liberty Mutual told me I was covered for damage resulting from the tank but personal contents were not. But it gets convoluted. One thing for sure is to check your policy and don't take the word of the person you speak to or get it in writing that you are covered for any damage as a result of the tank.

Every company is different.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Certainly something to ask your home owners insurance carrier if you are concerned.

Here's an old thread from RC which discusses this very point.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828291

I asked my carrier a while back (come to think of it I changed carriers for home insurance so I should probably ask again) and they Liberty Mutual told me I was covered for damage resulting from the tank but personal contents were not. But it gets convoluted. One thing for sure is to check your policy and don't take the word of the person you speak to or get it in writing that you are covered for any damage as a result of the tank.

Every company is different.

I haven't read my policy, but I did call them and they said I would be covered as long as it was accidental and not due to neglect. After dealing with Sandy, insurance always seems to have an out though... hopefully I'll never need to find out!

skiwez

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inquired about insurance before I bought my 225. Basically was told only damage to the house was covered. But when reading between the lines realized it would be a lot of aggravation. Decided the best course of action was to refinish the basement, installed a floor drain and put the tank behind a wall. The amount of damage 220 gallons of saltwater could do, I wasn't willing to rely on insurance to cover. took alittle longer to get it done, but than again we wouldn't be in this hobby without patience

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: