• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

dadat1968

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Hi All,

I need help.. My tank has benn tunning for 3 months. Most of my corals are doing well except for zoas.

Zoa problem: They turn black or some parts of the polyps turn black. They dont close they just turn black. Most of them on the sandbed, 30" from my light. I tried to experment, move some up thinking that they are getting less light, but still the same outcome. Anyone can help?

Tank:
-25 gallons solana 18x18x18
-chemi pure, purigen, filter floss and chaeto
-MP10es
-return jebao 1400 pump
-AquaC Remora skimmer with maxi 1200
-I dont dose other than kalk on my ATO
-Water change 4-5 gallons every week
-Temp between 78.50F-80F

Livestock:
-2 clowns + 2"-2.5" Yellow tang
-Some few SPS
-Softies(Xenia, mushroom, gsp)
-hammer
-zoas

Light:
AI sol blue
14" from water & 30" from sandbed

Timer 1:
2pm-7pm 160minutes
30w + 40b + 40rb

Timer 2:
7pm-10pm 160minutes
0w + 28b + 28rb

Timer 3:
11-12 60minutes
0w + 0b + 0rb

Thanks!!

dadat1968

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
f6c8311b0c6b4c0bce6b5948afd2dd11.jpg
38b2286f62e2bcb71f471628386a6715.jpg
ea6fcdb75b23379ae20abca88d865d20.jpg

Heres some pics.. 2nd pic is copper ring i believe and the ring dissapeared

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
My zoas lost color when I dropped husbandry for a few months almost like what your seeing. You mentioned that your keeping up with water changes so are you checking your parameters? How long ago did you move the corals to higher light? It does take a lot of time and good parameters to gain back color.

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
My zoas lost color when I dropped husbandry for a few months almost like what your seeing. You mentioned that your keeping up with water changes so are you checking your parameters? How long ago did you move the corals to higher light? It does take a lot of time and good parameters to gain back color.

Check my links out these zoa eating slugs are no joke. You will barely see them and if you do you prob have over hundreds . They only eat the color off the zoas palys they won't kill them . Over time they leave the zoa alone .

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Don't know if you did but. You wknt see them unless under blue light . They don't really come out at all during the day . Come are smaller then 1mm and no bigger then 3mm so they are tiny and faster then any pest you will most likely encounter other then nudis .

Try to turn on your blue lights late at night to see if so . If you. Price more color loss on your zoas look real hard I to finding them if you do have them. Cause you will be basting them out everyday.

dadat1968

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Okay ill check again.. I usually see the tank in nluebas i get home late night.. Have not seen one so far.. But will look closely nextime .. I hope i dont have them and its just a matter of light problem..

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Same here. I STARE at my tank more than my kids and wife so I'm sure I would have caught onto that. Amazing how many things can go wrong.

How long have you had those corals? What lighting conditions were they under before? How quickly did they lose their color after going into your tank?

Funny thing is that some corals do well and some other corals just die off. Some people can keep everything under their tank but a certain type of coral will just not survive no matter what they try.

Everything in my tank is doing amazing but my open brain, losing color. The only issue I may be dealing with is low ALK but my monti caps, torch and hammer are all doing great. My alk test kit may be old (already ordered a new one).

arthurk0722

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Check my links out these zoa eating slugs are no joke. You will barely see them and if you do you prob have over hundreds . They only eat the color off the zoas palys they won't kill them . Over time they leave the zoa alone .

Would dipping the zoas in coral dip kill off these slugs? What would be the best way to prevent this from happening?

Thanks for the input and tagging along

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: