• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Just wanna share some of the sightings

1)Tug of War for Food
2)Note the center brown color, it's more brown after It eat hair algae a day ago
3)Eating freshly picked(picked by me not the coral) hair alglae
4)Trying to swallow the whole thing a minute later (and algae blenny is puzzling when do they start to compete for algae-ADDED FISHY THOUGHTS.)

Attachments

• Fighting for Food Tug of War P1010079 copy.jpg
    Fighting for Food Tug of War P1010079 copy.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 168
  • Note the brown color in the center after eating hair algae one day ago P1010080 copy.jpg
    Note the brown color in the center after eating hair algae one day ago P1010080 copy.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 168
  • Hair Algae Eating Coral in Action P1010083 copy.jpg
    Hair Algae Eating Coral in Action P1010083 copy.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 168
  • Algae blenny is puzzling when does the coral start to compete for food P1010087 copy.jpg
    Algae blenny is puzzling when does the coral start to compete for food P1010087 copy.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
How are these inverts 'picking' hair algae in clumps with tentacles oriented for capture of food via the water column? Are you spot feeding them? Also, I thought most corals were carnivorous in nature :scratch: Yours seem like vegetarians.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
How are these inverts 'picking' hair algae in clumps with tentacles oriented for capture of food via the water column? Are you spot feeding them? Also, I thought most corals were carnivorous in nature :scratch: Yours seem like vegetarians.

I guessed most but not all.

They were eating meat all time until yesterday I try to freshly hand pick some hair algae and see if these seemingly aggressive coral will like veggie as well. So I feed them and they instantly eat them. But if the chunk is not big enough, they would not be as eager. I feed them again by just letting the hair algae flow by it. they grab it right the way.

Last edited:

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
pretty cool wing. i was watching one of my aptasia last night and a clump of algae that i had removed from the return nozzle fell on the aptasia, unlike yours it did not eat it.

are you sure they are digesting the algae or are they spitting it back out when you are not watching? just like kids do w/ their veggies. LOL

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
pretty cool wing. i was watching one of my aptasia last night and a clump of algae that i had removed from the return nozzle fell on the aptasia, unlike yours it did not eat it.

are you sure they are digesting the algae or are they spitting it back out when you are not watching? just like kids do w/ their veggies. LOL

Good that they are not kids, they do digest it and pretty fast too. You forgot I watch my stuff somewhat 4 hours a day. Strangely though, despite they do eat a lot of meat in the past they do not grow fast. I have to dig out my old pics to compare. Can't tell if they have grown bigger or not. Isn't it funny when a guy like me who like to keep photo journal but don't know jack about taking photos(proven! everytime when I try to take pics of good looking ladies) and extremely messy with where I put them.
Not sure if they are slow growing or they are meant to eat veggie - just JOKING.

Despite slow growing, I do have 3 babies so far.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
:lol2: past one of thsoe over here, i got plenty of algae to shove into its mouth:tongue1:

Recently, there's no need to spot feed them, some how, my rock tank have free flowing hair algae everyday. My turbos, damsels, and whaetever else in the tank are tearing the algae forest into pieces and I see the corals eating them all the time now. Everytime, I try to feed them after the other tanks, I found them having their mouth full of algae, so I have stop feeding them as much. They still look very healthy and may even bigger than when I started this thread.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: