• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

D

DEEPWATER

This has been sitting on my mind for some time now.

Every time i see an Aipatasia ,I get my kalk or Joes jucie out and start the process .Shees and it sucks.But seriouly ,have you guys notices that this method doesnt work very well.I mean ,yes it kills the actual aipatasia .But what is it really doing !! that is the question ..

OK ,,we get out cup to make kalk or have joes jucie ready for action.We stop the pest and put kalk or JJ. (of course you pumps must be off) Then we wait ,I siphon out what is left of the Aipatasia and then wait a bit before turning on my pumps.

Everything is good with my tank for a few days ,and then ,BAM ,,aipatasia city ,so i go thru the same thing again ,kalk and JJ ..Seems like ther are spore left behind from the JJ or klak ,even if you siphon them out

Reason why im getting into to this ,is that im came to a concultion that this method does more damage then good in the long run .

Anyone else have this same problem using Kalk and JJ .Im not sure if there is a better method other then ,using live predators ,CBB ,Peppermiint or Nudibranches ...

anyone else have any other way of ridding this ppest ,I cant use CBB in my tank ,and Peppermints are hit or miss ,,Klak and JJ are out of the question they just cause more problem then do good

Ronen

DonCisco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I do agree Ronen, recently I had some Aiptasias on my clam. I used Kalk on them, but it was so close to the clam's mantle that some of it must have touched the clam... end result the clam slowly died :( , even thought I tested the water for ammonia, it must have released something because it took my lil mandarin and a cleaner shrimp along. I guess the Kalk created a domino effect. Luckily everything else in my tank was unaffected.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I do agree Ronen, recently I had some Aiptasias on my clam. I used Kalk on them, but it was so close to the clam's mantle that some of it must have touched the clam... end result the clam slowly died :( , even thought I tested the water for ammonia, it must have released something because it took my lil mandarin and a cleaner shrimp along. I guess the Kalk created a domino effect. Luckily everything else in my tank was unaffected.

Srry to hear that :(

After klaking them of JJ .I would believe that the Aiptasias are not all gone ,Even if siphoned out ,the slightest spore that is relased by the aiptasia wil creat one or more in your tank

SO i think for every one that we kalk ,we get 10 in return some where in the tank .Im going to use this method in my main display any more .Im going to try natural predators to see how that work.

mgchan

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I use kalk and what I find successful for me is waiting until the aiptasia has grown large enough before applying the kalk directly into the mouth. It bloats them up and you see them melt. I find that the smaller ones close up or retreat too quickly to get a nice dose inside them. Their "spores" are all over your live rocks and it takes alot of patience and time before you're finally rid of them. I'm down to 1 - 2 popping up every so often.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Ronen, what can't you have a CBB?

No ,,i have 2 yellow tangs ,so i think they will fight :(

Plus with all the live rock i have ,i dont think the CBB can get the place the nudis might be able to get to,

taking out my rock is out of the question ,Ide rather fight this battle then do that :D

Last edited:

zaza

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I think I just found a couple on one of my LR :irked:
I read about a nudibranch that only eats aiptasia!!

Aiptasia predator: Nudibranchs
Most popular is the little, almost invisible Berghia verrucicornis, are great obligate (this is all they eat) Aiptasia destroyers... do remember to "pass your specimen(s) on" a few weeks after your Glass Anemones are apparently gone. Otherwise the Berghia will perish from lack of food.

Ronen have you tried those?

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I think I just found a couple on one of my LR :irked:
I read about a nudibranch that only eats aiptasia!!

Aiptasia predator: Nudibranchs
Most popular is the little, almost invisible Berghia verrucicornis, are great obligate (this is all they eat) Aiptasia destroyers... do remember to "pass your specimen(s) on" a few weeks after your Glass Anemones are apparently gone. Otherwise the Berghia will perish from lack of food.

Ronen have you tried those?

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/group-buys/17932-berghia-nudibranch-group-buy.html

I have ,But i only got 2 of them in my 90gal ,i dont htink that was enuff for me ,im going try 4 or 5 this time so they get a jump on the aiptasia.
Im going to order them soon ,if you want we can split the shipping .:splitspin

Ronen

zaza

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/group-buys/17932-berghia-nudibranch-group-buy.html

I have ,But i only got 2 of them in my 90gal ,i dont htink that was enuff for me ,im going try 4 or 5 this time so they get a jump on the aiptasia.
Im going to order them soon ,if you want we can split the shipping .:splitspin

Ronen

I think I might need one.
I was reading that those nudibranchs are used in public large aquarium to remove the aiptaisa wihtout damaging anything else, and also that they work better in groups of 3 at least.
Now my tank is 20G and i can see 3 of them only, do you think I will still need 3 nudibranchs or one will be enough?

zaza

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I found this web site: http://www.berghia.net/marketprice.html

It says that for a 75G tank the ideal number will be 6, so for my 20G I will go with 2 I guess :)

Berghia Estimating Needs: People have been seeing the best success with 6 (2 trio paks or more) in a 75 gallon tank that is 4 feet long and 9 in a 125 that is approximately 6 feet in length. You will have to estimate the number you need. If you have a very thick growth of aiptasia or larger sized Aiptasia that is out of control, you can always add more to speed the process up as they take some time to work and for you to see visible results in tanks that are out of control with aiptasia growth. It can take as much as 1/2 to 3/4 of a year to see results. Patience is a must as well as adding enough nudibranches for an effective solution. Some people add as many as 18 to 24 to their 150's and 180's because their systems and corals are worth it and they simply want to be done with the Aiptasia issue.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Berghias never worked for me, my tank's flow is always too high and I think the larger aptasias actually eats the Berghias. I had tried putting 12 in a 90g one time and never seen them again after 2 weeks, the aptasia population didn't disappear like the Berghia:(. CBB is the best predator I have used and I never had any problem with yellow tangs bothering them, their long nose is meant to use to pick aptasia from crevices you can't get to.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I found this web site: http://www.berghia.net/marketprice.html

It says that for a 75G tank the ideal number will be 6, so for my 20G I will go with 2 I guess :)

Berghia Estimating Needs: People have been seeing the best success with 6 (2 trio paks or more) in a 75 gallon tank that is 4 feet long and 9 in a 125 that is approximately 6 feet in length. You will have to estimate the number you need. If you have a very thick growth of aiptasia or larger sized Aiptasia that is out of control, you can always add more to speed the process up as they take some time to work and for you to see visible results in tanks that are out of control with aiptasia growth. It can take as much as 1/2 to 3/4 of a year to see results. Patience is a must as well as adding enough nudibranches for an effective solution. Some people add as many as 18 to 24 to their 150's and 180's because their systems and corals are worth it and they simply want to be done with the Aiptasia issue.

I saw that site ,they have the same prices and we ordered once from Lisa at saltyUnderground ,I spoke to her before this thread .SHe will give the the biggest ones out of the bunch .

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Berghias never worked for me, my tank's flow is always too high and I think the larger aptasias actually eats the Berghias. I had tried putting 12 in a 90g one time and never seen them again after 2 weeks, the aptasia population didn't disappear like the Berghia:(. CBB is the best predator I have used and I never had any problem with yellow tangs bothering them, their long nose is meant to use to pick aptasia from crevices you can't get to.

To be honest ,im too sraced to introduce a new fish to my tank ,as of now i have too many ,but yet a great community of fish ,all of them are happy and get along ,even my 2 clowns swim in the same mushroom colony (1 Snuck and 1 GBMC )

what to do :rolleyes:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: