francisedward1993

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
im planning of upgrading to 135g tank and im gonna use a 55g as my sump BUT......I live on the 2nd floor priv. house but the house is new and im not sure if the floor can handle all these weight....anyone can relate?

Pharoahsim

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I'm in an 1890 third floor. It holds the weight of my 125 with a 40 sump. I went through allot of agony over that myself. Spanning the beams is important, and put it on a wall where the beams all meet. Use a stud finder' It's been running for four years. No problems. I am looking to upgrade to a 150 soon. You know, even though I was worried about this as well, it's not just gonna drop through the floor. What would happen is that you would start to see cracks on the wall below it, and behind it' the key is to spread the weight. A tall tank is worse than a long tank. Get the weight across the beams. It's like 15 people standing in that room. It can handle that? You should be good if you find the beams and span as many as you can. If something starts to go wrong, you should have time.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I've always felt that the most an average standard floor can take is an 180g setup minus the sump (so roughly 2000 lbs, ie: tank, water, rock, sand, stand, canopy) provided you place the tank against a load bearing or exterior wall and that the tank is perpendicular lengthwise to the floor joist. So that is exactly what I did on my last relocation.
8 years later, I need to review that thinking. Not that I think the floor is giving, but there is some creaking if I stand in place in front of the tank and rock on my heels. So that tells me it's at it's limit and in any future setups, I would either reinforce the floor under the tank with sister joist or limit the load to 1500 lbs or 150g setup.
This is just my novice experience and am no way a professional in structural engineering.

Remiball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 82.9%
29   6   0
You have to disperse the weight over the entire area. So 2000LBS is spread over the total square footage.

So in reality you may only be putting 100lbs of weight on any single point of the floor.

It the floor caves in the beams would have to be rotted. Wood is extremely strong, especially the treated wood used for beams.

jonb27

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a town house on the second floor is a 125g with two 20longs under for baby's. Next to. It is a 65g with a 20long sump. Them a 40 breeder My floor does not even make a noise or any movement whatsoever as long as you spend the joist you should be good

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: