brattramp

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My tank is becoming overgrown with Calurpa (which hitch hiked into my tank a year ago with some live rock). Anyone has advice on how to get rid of this nuisance algae?

Thanks!

DonCisco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Initially I would say. Advertise in the freebie thread that you have caulerpa to give away, to get rid of large quantities you will have to start by doing manual cutting. Try to clean as much as you can and move some to your sump for nitrate/ammonia reduction. Do you have any vegetarian fish (tangs, algae blenny) that could get a handle on the algae explosion?
I am sure others might have better suggestions.

brattramp

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks, guys. Anyone out there have experience with fish that eat Calurpa? I'd be interested to know what type of tang etc. is especially fond of this nuisance algae, so I don't purchase something that doesn't do the job. Thanks!

digitalreefer

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
What type of calupera do you have? I have sawblade in my tank which I prune weekly to keep under control. Tangs won't touch the stuff... my yellow tang will occasionally grab a piece accidentaly and spit it out right away.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
what kind of caulerpa is it? Some types will be avoided by most fish and other types shouldn't be fed to fish. Algae Blennies eat micro algae not macro. Post a pic of it if you don't know the species. Also, the best and fastest way to get rid of macro is to just rip it out if possible. Carefully remove as much as possible from the rocks. Another thing to consider is checking all your levels you might have nutrients in your tank or you might be adding it with certain additives without realizing it.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
You should post a picture of your tank so we can see how big of a "problem" this is.

Putting calurpa in a display tank is a bad idea since it will become a problem if you don't have fish that will eat the stuff, and if you do have a fish that likes it, it will never grow:lol2:.

digitalreefer

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Caleurpa can go sexual if you just rip it out. Carefully pinch the end of it for a second then break at the pinch to prevent this from happening. It does grow quickly and you'll need to prune it regularly in this fashion if you have any in your display tank.

Lloyd

Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Grass taking over my tank

Hi, following on from this thread, I also have a sort of grass like algae taking over my tank. Can anyone confirm what species of fish would most like to eat this? (I can't seem to get nitrates below 20 ppm, even with an RODI water filter.)

Attachments

• IMG_2420.JPG
    IMG_2420.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 50

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: