• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

nyfireman3097

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Well When I hooked up my RO/DI I forgot the waste line and when i was checking the water TDS it was 0 then the next day I had to fill another 25g to the tank and low and behold the YTDS started at 0 but was up to 35 by the time I was 1/2 done with the 25g's. So now I have a brown alage growing in my tank never have I had this problem what should I do ????
Nick

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
What should you do?

Replace the cartridges. If you still have TDS, your membrane might be shot. You might also need to replace that.

You can also try replacing the DI cartridge alone and see if that solves it. How dark are the sediment and carbon filters?

Don't worry about the algea, once you get the water back to normal it will go away.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
guys i think he's trying to ask how he can fix the water issue in the 25g. he states that he forgot to add the waste line when he was putting the rodi together so i'm guessing he put the waste water in his tank somehow.

nick try to run some carbon or phosban. also do another water change and make sure the waste water gets disposed of. good luck.

btw did you get the socks?

nyfireman3097

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Yes I did thank you .......
Ans you hit it on the head :) All the filters are clean as clean can be I have carbon in the sump. I have done 1 20g WC and plan on doing another tommorrow and then another on Saturday I wanna get rid of this problem before I have to pick up my sps from Jims house

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Well When I hooked up my RO/DI I forgot the waste line and when i was checking the water TDS it was 0 then the next day I had to fill another 25g to the tank and low and behold the YTDS started at 0 but was up to 35 by the time I was 1/2 done with the 25g's. So now I have a brown alage growing in my tank never have I had this problem what should I do ????
Nick

What do you mean by forgetting the waste line? Check the TDS of the water after the RO not the DI and see how high it is. If it is too high, even you change the DI, it will get exhausted very quickly. You need to change the RO membrane if that's the case.

nyfireman3097

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
its at 0. All Ro's have a waste line and I have a HUGE setup. When I set it back up I forgot to add the waste line due to not being the one to break it down and then being the one to put it back together in a rush to get my tank going :(

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
All Ro's have a waste line and I have a HUGE setup. When I set it back up I forgot to add the waste line due to not being the one to break it down and then being the one to put it back together in a rush to get my tank going :(

I know that all RO have a waste line. But it is separated from the purified water line. So where did the waste water go? In your tank or on the floor?

nyfireman3097

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Ok just finished doing my tests on everything. Heres the results
yesterday
82 degrees
1.032 salinity
600ppm cal
9.9 Alk
1450 Mag
N/A Pottasium
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
2ppm Nitrate
PO4 .26

Now
Temp 79
Salinity 1.025
Cal 420 ppm
Alk 8.0 dKH
Mag 1275
Pottasium N/A
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2
PO4 .16
PH 8.2

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: