• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I just bought a Hamilton 250 watt MH pendant from daceman, but it looks like I will either need another one to cover the tank. I bought for $150, a new one is about $275. so, the question. do i buy a new one or sell the old one and buy a 400 watt 14k reefstar for $275. Anyone have any experience with this Hamilton reefstar?

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What kind of tank are you looking to light? I'm using a single 250W over a 92 bow. I keep the light about 14" off the water and I get a nice spread. I do plan on changing out to DE bulbs the next time the bulb is do for replacement.

Steven

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Id rather not start tinkering with reflectors. its easier to just buy a new unit and sell the old one. The wattage of 400 would be better and cheaper than running 2 pendants at 250watts ea. Just wondering if this reefstar lamp is a good one. i can get it for $275.
Im running a 30 gallon with an open top. I have a lot of sps on the sides which dont get much sunshine.

Last edited:

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The one thing I'm always worried about with running the one bulb, is that I'll be in a pickle if the light craps out. At least with 2 250 if one craps out you still have the other going until you can get a replacement.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: