• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Yeah, that guy did an awesome job. I'm in the process of the dart mesh wheel skimmer. I'd like to copy his design for the wet neck though.
FWIW, I did the modification of the mesh wheel on my Euro-reef. This mesh wheel is no joke. My Euro-reef is pulling out over night what it used to pull out in 2 to 3 days.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
It blows away anything put out by Deltec. This guy did a great job. I'd say between him and mike (also on RC) these are the best SKIMMERS I've ever seen. Let alone the fact that they are DIY. What's better about them is they are outperforming Deltec and Bubble King twice as much at 1/5th the price.
The only problem is... and I speak from experience on this... it is extremely time consuming. I never want to drill another diffuser plate again. All of the sanding/polishing/drilling/cutting/glueing and God forbid any mistakes you may make consume tons of time and material.
A little taste... here's my mesh wheel for the Dart:

Attachments

• skimmer build 2 002mr (1).jpg
    skimmer build 2 002mr (1).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I'm going to have enough material left when mine is done to build a 2 or 3 more. They obviously won't be as big as mine since mine is in the basement, but they'll be bad a$$ little bulldogs.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
hahhaa, thanks I was just kidding since you said "I don't ever want to build another one of these....."

:)

Did you post pics of that in the skimmer thread? I think you should make a separate thread for that monster.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I really don't want to build another... but I have some materials and ideas and I like to build stuff. You know I can never leave well enough alone. I'll get the diffusers laser cut.
I want to make a thread, but I'd rather wait until I'm completely done and it's running. If I start now, the thread will just get messy with posts long before I'm finished. I hate messy posts like that and I'd rather just show from scratch to a finished product before anyone else posts.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Devious, the mesh works better than the gutter guard mod. You can get it from Aquatic Eco, but they do not sell small pieces, you'd have to buy a roll. I've got some spare. Gutter guard can be purchased at HD. They were also using scrub pads, but they fell apart far to quickly.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
BTW... before any bandwagon jumping starts:
Pros:
Finer bubbles
higher air draw
Cons:
Pumps run higher watts
more maintenance
possibly louder, depending on how well you secured it.
possible need to shave down volute

Last edited:

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Guys, it's pretty simple. Using a dremmel, file the needles off of the needle wheel. Cut the mesh the size of the wheel itself and zip tie it down. I dont know any links. Deanos is the man for that... I swear, as big as the internet is, he can find anything.
I did not take pics when I did it. If you look at the pic on the previous page, my sedra needle wheel looks a lot like that. That is the wheel I built for the sequence Dart.

GQ22

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
awesome replica. feel sorry he spent $1600 when the total materials including tools seems like it wouldnt be more than $300 bucks. i think i saw a cylinder @ julio's plastic coulda gotten for 20 bucks.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
awesome replica. feel sorry he spent $1600 when the total materials including tools seems like it wouldnt be more than $300 bucks. i think i saw a cylinder @ julio's plastic coulda gotten for 20 bucks.

I'll take some 12" dia cast acrylic tubes for 20 bucks, even if it is $20 per foot. Let me know if you are sure about this.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: