• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

nycmat

nYo
Rating - 98.2%
55   1   0
hello all i am trying to learn more about both. if anyone has any links to help out it would be great. what are the benefits of miracle mud as well as bad things with it. also deep sand beds the same.

thanks
matt

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
There was some in depth stuff about it on wetwebmedia. From what I remember miracle mud was fine silicate based, crystaline "sand" upon microscopic examination.

The skinny of it is that the finer the grain size the less depth required for denitrification.

bergerd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I recently asked the same question about sand vs mud for my refugium. Some of the comments were 1) mud should be replaced every 6 months or so, 2) DSB with finer granules gives more surface area than larger sand granuels, 3) you can mix the two (mud & DSB), 4) too fine sand granuels (defined as ?) can become too compacted. There may have been 1-2 more comments, but this is what I remember. I had aragonite (sugar granule size) already, so started the fuge with that. Plan to add some Figi mud also when it arrives, but not too much. Goiod luck.

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
mirc. mud isn't worth the money and effort, in fact i often have questioned its effectiveness. As said before, it has to be changed out every 6 months or so. Why not save urself the trouble and put some sand in.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Matt save your money ....get a SSB and call it a day .(in your display tank)

I use to use MM and i took it out a year ago ,my tank is running just as good ,nothing changed really ,I added some GARF grunge* and some cheato ,my marco star are breeded like crazy along with the pods and where ever else is there . I havent added sand again to my sump ,its cleaner ,easier to to maintain ,JMO

Good luck ,Good to see you back on the board :hug:

Oy VEy

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
The load of crap is in the link Reefman provided us with :)
hello all i am trying to learn more about both. if anyone has any links to help out it would be great. what are the benefits of miracle mud as well as bad things with it. also deep sand beds the same.
thanks
matt
I believe i was providing info that another MR member was asking for.
Don't take your hostility on Miracle mud on me DUDE!

bergerd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Well I think all has been clarified and all is well again in the Bikini Bottom MR reef world. And, yes folks, words can hurt, even in Sponge Bob's reefdom. It's My Best Day Ever!!!!

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
David,
I know it seemed a little harsh, but Rich is just trying to help. I too have gotten a little out of line (sometimes a lot) because we do get pissed off with nonsense products. We get even more pissed off when someone posts a link which is nothing more than an advertisement by the company selling the product.
Now, if this helps, I've used Miracle Mud in the past. I have nothing good to say about it. I don't feel it did a thing for my system besides yellow my water. I did some research and found that Miracle Mud is made up of about 70% quartz which doesn't benefit our tanks in any way. I had better results when I removed the mud.
As we should all know by now, products advertised as "Miracle", "Amazing Reef Vitalizer" and such are always flops. This sums up Miracle Mud and Marc Weiss products nicely. Snake oil. False claims in a hobby that has no regulations in advertising.
Now to answer the question, if it were my tank, I'd go with very large remote DSB with high flow that can be pulled off line and changed every 5 to 6 years. But at the same time, providing more info would help. Is there sand in the main display? Do you need a refugium (I feel most claims regarding refugiums is false)? What are you keeping?

Last edited:

bergerd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Hi Chris

I know exactly what you mean. And, having seen your tank and spoken to you about tanks, I value your input enormously. But tell me, how do you have time now with the new nano reefer. Well being a pediatrician, I know he sleeps alot the first week or two. But get ready!!! Thanks for your uncahrged, unloaded words of experience & knowledge. My only point was that if someone is going to have a strong opinion about something, at least have the courtesy to identify what or who the "piece of crap" is. That was not done in this case. It was just a general statement that was unclear as to what/who it was directed toward. Can't wait to meet your son. Congratulations again.

David,
I know it seemed a little harsh, but Rich is just trying to help. I too have gotten a little out of line (sometimes a lot) because we do get pissed off with nonsense products. We get even more pissed off when someone posts a link which is nothing more than an advertisement by the company selling the product.
Now, if this helps, I've used Miracle Mud in the past. I have nothing good to say about it. I don't feel it did a thing for my system besides yellow my water. I did some research and found that Miracle Mud is made up of about 70% quartz which doesn't benefit our tanks in any way. I had better results when I removed the mud.
As we should all know by now, products advertised as "Miracle", "Amazing Reef Vitalizer" and such are always flops. This sums up Miracle Mud and Marc Weiss products nicely. Snake oil. False claims in a hobby that has no regulations in advertising.
Now to answer the question, if it were my tank, I'd go with very large remote DSB with high flow that can be pulled off line and changed every 5 to 6 years. But at the same time, providing more info would help. Is there sand in the main display? Do you need a refugium (I feel most claims regarding refugiums is false)? What are you keeping?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Bergerd, don't give me a hard time. In no way were my replies a personal attack against anyones thoughts. I deleted my statments. Perhaps you're better off reading the product description for MM. It sounds much nicer than "crap". Maybe after you see numerous tanks over 4-5 years using MM, you will realize it IS crap

bergerd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Hi Rich

No hard time intended. And I am certain from all the comments, I will in turn come to agree with the take on MM. My only point is that if you want to toss daggers, imo you should watch your aim. Thanks, Doc :givebeer: :dead:

Bergerd, don't give me a hard time. In no way were my replies a personal attack against anyones thoughts. I deleted my statments. Perhaps you're better off reading the product description for MM. It sounds much nicer than "crap". Maybe after you see numerous tanks over 4-5 years using MM, you will realize it IS crap

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: