Status
Not open for further replies.

WTBClownfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand naming a coral strawberry shortcake or green slime to make it easier for people to discuss. Then vendors started putting names in front of the corals name in order to create a brand.

The past few days I have been seeing what I believe are hobbiests branding coral with their user name. They might be a under the radar chop shop hoping to make name for themselves and put out the next Walt Disney or some other over hyped coral. Maybe they are just trying to take advantage of a noob.

This site is the only site I have seen this happen. Is this the future of the hobby? The name thing never really annoyed me until now. This is just crazy.

If member 1 buys member 2's coral which they named after themselves. When member 1 sells tbe coral will it be called member 1's LE ultra sunset milli or member 2 LE ultra sunset milli?

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Just starting trouble?? Yeah my sunset is making a killing at 25 a frag dude. I'm going to buy my yacht tomorrow. My milli is not lineaged to anyone so I put sunset in there so people know what the colors are going to be and not surprised when I say milli for sale and show up and they have the same milli. People know who I am on this site and know I'm not selling a coral from a sick tank. I've had this milli for 2 years and others that I have grown with no name so when you have been in the hobby as long as me or others we can give our corals a name to distinguish one from another. But good job on the troll post

WTBClownfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is by far not the only site with people who do this. pretty much all the site's do it
I don't see it other sites with the exception of vendors. No matter were it is hobbiests renaming coral after themselves is ridiculous.

so when you have been in the hobby as long as me or others we can give our corals a name

Lol there are many reefers who will say that this practice isn't the best for the hobby.

Edit: I just read some of your thread and I wouldn't brag about the health of your tank. I also left you name out of the OP so you wouldn't get so defensive about your practice.

Last edited:

WTBClownfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP.

The whole idea to add the name is to identify the lineage. Reef Raft, Tyree, Jason Fox, Battle Corals, ATL, Copps - ever heard those names?

I think the lineage names are ridiculous. They are vendors, farmers and importers. I think it is even more ridiculous that hobbiests are changing the lineage so it looks like it originated from them and to brand a product.

Since Duke already exposed himself I would use his FS ad as an example. I buy a Duke sunset milli and grow it out. When I sell it should I call it a WTB sunset milli? Or is it still a Duke sunset milli? At some point the lineage and names changes has to end.

Sunset milli would have sufficed.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Some people just don't get it. If I buy from Jason fox I'm not renaming the lineage to my tank because it's his lineage. Your not exposing anyone dude this piece is not lineaged to anyone. I'm not selling it for 100 a frag and since I've sold/given away about 50 of them already when they grow it out and say the corals given name people will know where it originated from. So now if they grow it out and say dukes sunset milli 75 dollars for 1 inch frag people will know I sell them for 25 and they know what the color will be and that it's a fast grower.

sunny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I think the lineage names are ridiculous. They are vendors, farmers and importers. I think it is even more ridiculous that hobbiests are changing the lineage so it looks like it originated from them and to brand a product.

Since Duke already exposed himself I would use his FS ad as an example. I buy a Duke sunset milli and grow it out. When I sell it should I call it a WTB sunset milli? Or is it still a Duke sunset milli? At some point the lineage and names changes has to end.

Sunset milli would have sufficed.

I tend to disagree. You have to agree that this hobby has evolved in the past few years at a very fast pace. There are more options than we can count for lights, pumps, additives, reactors name it. That said, a combination of factors can morph the corals in many different variants. A sunset milli will look different under LED than a T5 or under Halides or under a combo of these lights. Also do not forget that flow also play a big part in the growth pattern of corals. Then the additives you add will also play a role.

So if Duke has a sunset milli that he grew under a certain combination of lights and flow and he wants that to be identified as coming out of his tank, I see no issues with that. This is in no way bad for the hobby. What this does is gives people more choices to buy what they want. If I have a sunset milli under LED and Duke has one under T5 then the buyer can choose what to buy based on his setup.

Duke is not asking $200 an inch for his milli. His price is reasonable and there is no need to buy if you do not agree with it.

Dk638

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
140   0   0
When we are bored, we mean it.

Why do ppl even reply to threads like this yet when someone has a newbie issue the thread reaches 3 figure views and maybe one reply

I agree, isn't this the same guy who got stuff free and tried to sell it? Or a different troll? Let's just all ignore his posts, we'd all be better off.

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I understand naming a coral strawberry shortcake or green slime to make it easier for people to discuss. Then vendors started putting names in front of the corals name in order to create a brand.

The past few days I have been seeing what I believe are hobbiests branding coral with their user name. They might be a under the radar chop shop hoping to make name for themselves and put out the next Walt Disney or some other over hyped coral. Maybe they are just trying to take advantage of a noob.

This site is the only site I have seen this happen. Is this the future of the hobby? The name thing never really annoyed me until now. This is just crazy.

If member 1 buys member 2's coral which they named after themselves. When member 1 sells tbe coral will it be called member 1's LE ultra sunset milli or member 2 LE ultra sunset milli?

Who freakin cares.
If its a pretty & healthy doesn't matter.

**also - not cool calling out people without explanation prior on a public forum.

Last edited:

Dan 0139

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lineage thing is not something that means much to me. If I am looking for a red dragon it doesn't matter if it is a OC red dragon or a RR red dragon. Like others said tang conditions affect the coral so much that it doesn't matter how it looks in someone's tank. The RR red dragon might appear nicer the the OC one because RR uses diffrent lights or higher nutrients. Once it is in your tank it might appear like a JF red dragon.

The lineage names and terms ultra, rainbow and limited addition has been so over used that they don't mean much anynore. I see corals called rainbows with only 2 colors on it. It's like the boy who cried wolf. Terms have been over used so much it means crap now.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I don't mind the names, there's a few guys from queens or staten island that I think have nice things and great tanks they're just too far from my busy schedule that if I seen a westchester or Putnam refer with a Duke Mille I'd grab it in a second!

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
wtbclownfish you must read many other forums or for sale threads to even make this comment. i am by no way endorsing names or corals or lineage for profit, as i have discussed several times over the last decade plus in this hobby. whether on this forum or reef central. and i will use one person into retrospect, tyree, know i know the lady that several of his corals came from her personal tank from boston and he had gotten pieces of them grew them out and labelled them as tyree piece's not as from the person he got them from that were already colored and grown colonies. duke isnt not trying to make a name or a over priced over hyped coral. he took a wild piece, colored it up and grew it out. so where is the problem with this ?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0

I saw you taking an interest in this, before you jump to conclusions let me explain. What you see in the last few days doesn't explain it all. The name game is nothing new. Lots of vendors and hobbyists have select corals named after themselves. Yes, many are chop shops trying to make a few bucks off of a wild colony with a catchy name. Some of the corals are actually unique and have earned themselves a distinct name i.e Tyree Oregan Tort, Tyree purple monster, Aqua Sd Rainbow milli, Jfox flame etc.

You have already asked me if I named my tenuis after myself in a for sale thread. I have already given you an explanation but let me explain further. A few years ago I had a tenuis morph into something unique and documented its change in a thread. http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/sps/160146-morphing-gem.html

This coral was unique at the time. The "Walt Disney" tenuis didn't emerge yet, and I find the idea if give corals silly names kind of cheesy. After spreading this coral to many of the best local hobbyists (for free), this coral was referred to as "jackson's tenuis" because I still hadn't named it. What I find ironic, and actually insulting, is that you can accredit a coral like the Walt Disney tenuis when all the pics are overly blue with LED and clearly color corrected to give it a crazy looking appearance. Hobbyists pics, who paid an arm and a leg, look nothing like this.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish I understand what you're saying. The best thing to do is look at the picture and the price. I have picked up many Maricultured colonies which look exactly the same as some of these designer frags. Most designer frags are the same maricultured colonies we buy for $60.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Difference is your maricultured piece come with little presents attached to them or they look amazing for a few months and mysteriously die for no reason. We are not buying maricultured chopping them up and selling frags. These are established acros that are proven to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: