Ryno

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of upgrading my lighting with new reflectors and ballasts. I currently have 2 x 175 watt metal halides and I was going to upgrade to 2 x 250 watt. I came across two 400 watt ballasts for free and am considering using those instead. My question is whether this is going to be too much and will it add a significant amount more heat to my tank compared to the 250's. My tank is a standard 90 gallon 48 x 18 x 24. I have anemones and a mix of SPS/LPS but am moving towards mostly SPS. Thanks in advance for any thoughts/input.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I am in the process of upgrading my lighting with new reflectors and ballasts. I currently have 2 x 175 watt metal halides and I was going to upgrade to 2 x 250 watt. I came across two 400 watt ballasts for free and am considering using those instead. My question is whether this is going to be too much and will it add a significant amount more heat to my tank compared to the 250's. My tank is a standard 90 gallon 48 x 18 x 24. I have anemones and a mix of SPS/LPS but am moving towards mostly SPS. Thanks in advance for any thoughts/input.

175 halide is a waste of money IMO. You don't get the par/spectrum that you can get with 250w+400w to make it worth while. Keep in mind different ballasts will fire bulbs differently. 2x250w radiums would be prefect on a 90 but is best overdriven for a whiter spectrum and more par. Research how the ballast will run the bulbs. 2x400w is overkill on a 90 IMO, don't use it.
As for heat, of course halide will give off heat. I've been running halide/t5 for 15 years and never needed a chiller. If you keep the room temp 72 or lower, and have a fan cooled canopy (or fan blowing across lights and water surface), you will not need a chiller.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
X2.... Good advice from Rich. I ran 175s and then upgraded to 250s on my 90. I ran them for years and still do on my 170. There wasn't a significant difference in heat, but there was when I tried 400s. As mentioned bulb and ballast combos do make a difference and lighting is a personal choice. I've tried many combos over the years and IMO Radiums on M80 (magnetic) HQI ballasts gives my SPS the best color and growth. There are a few good articles and threads from SanJay and Joe B(JBNY) on the subject. No need to buy and try like I had to do... the info is there now.

Ryno

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the responses. I was pretty sure the 400's would be overkill but the price is right on the ballasts :). I am going to go with the 250's as originally planned and also supplement with T5. I have read through the threads that you mentioned and they are very helpful. I plan on getting the lumatek ballasts and run radiums with them. I don't want to re-start the LED vs halide conversation but I've never seen an all LED tank that made me say "wow, I need LED's". My favorite tanks have all run Radiums.

Ryno

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ theMeat- I'm just wondering since nobody talks about this really that LED's are rated for around 5 years. So if I have to buy $1,000 worth of LED's every 5 years I feel that I would actually be spending about the same by replacing my halides every year.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: