• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 99.4%
168   1   0
seachems reef calcium anyone use this product ? and if so did or does your skimmer go crazy ? i added it last night and skimmer went nut's. i also changed my phos bag at same time and now my tank looks dirty as heck. gonna do a water change tommorrow, but i still cant run my skimmer without the cup filling up. have to turn pump down to run it, but with it turned down it doesnt seem to bring everything to the top collector cup. this was the longest skimmer has been off so might be reason tank looks nasty also. i run it 24\7 normally. any help would be appriciated. ty rick

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Rick,

If your tank is cloudy after you added the calcum, then chances are your calcium is what they call "precipitating" this is not the best way to run your reef. Safe to assume that you are adding calcium without a test kit? Meaning that you test first to guage how much calcium you'll need to put in? if I were you, I'd do a water change and get a calcium test kit to check. Also, if you're not keeping SPS, you should be fine on the calcium with the salt that you use (depending on brand).

I don't believe the phosphate sponge has anything to do with it unless you didn't rinse it first.

Anyhow, hope that helps - check google for calcium precipitation in reef tanks.

House

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 99.4%
168   1   0
seachem

i planned to do a water change in the morning, i only added half the amount of dosage i was suppose to, thats what i always do, but i will get a test kit for it and iodine. alls i have is polyps zoa's and a few different anenome's

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 99.4%
168   1   0
seachems

2 1\2 months rock was never dried and transferred from a 110g everything was clear yesterday, but i left the skimmer off since last night cause it was filling with water after i added the reef calcium. i have a oink tip a purple tip and forget the name of the other. i have a few other items as well, just cant ever remember names, plus a few mushrooms

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: