FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
I have a new 180g perfecto marineland rr aquarium. I am thinking of removing the top rim and replacing it with glass eurobrace.

The tank is a 72x24x24. I was thinking or 2x 72"x4.25"x.5" glass strips. 1 for the front and one for the back. I dont think the side panels will need any euro brace as there will only be 15.5" of unbraced glass. But if needed i will add there too.

Does anyone have experience with this? Should i go thicker for the brace? Wider? Am i too wide? Will this not work all together?

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
The sides would be a bit more challenging cause the front and back would sit on top of tank on its own. The sides wont have anything to hold it in place. It which point i guess i may need clamps or something else. This is why i chose 4" strips vs 2-3' to close the gap of the unbraced sides.

But again is someone with more knowledge about this tells me otherwise, im all ears.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I think that you need to brace the tank all the way around, if it was a 3' or 4' tank I think you could get away with just the front and back but a big 6' tank I think it's best to do it all around. The 1/2" glass to brace it is about right, which should match the thickness of the tank, if the tank is thicker than you should use thicker glass. The width sound a little wide, but you are going losing some as if goes over the glass panels on either side.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: