jck16

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Hi everyone,
It's been awhile since I've posted, but anyway I've had a pair of ORA pygmy white spotted filefish in my mixed reef for about a month. About a week ago I noticed one of them nipping at my Crocea clam several times a day to the point I rarely see the mantle fully open now. Is this a case where I need to give up that fish? Or is there a way to get the fish to stop bothering it?

Also, does anyone know if these fish actually form a bonded pair? They were sold as a pair, but they prefer not to interact with each other most of the time I see them...so maybe that's a real pair?? Lol

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Hi everyone,
It's been awhile since I've posted, but anyway I've had a pair of ORA pygmy white spotted filefish in my mixed reef for about a month. About a week ago I noticed one of them nipping at my Crocea clam several times a day to the point I rarely see the mantle fully open now. Is this a case where I need to give up that fish? Or is there a way to get the fish to stop bothering it?

Also, does anyone know if these fish actually form a bonded pair? They were sold as a pair, but they prefer not to interact with each other most of the time I see them...so maybe that's a real pair?? Lol

I don't think they will stop nipping at the clam so I suggest you pull them out. Had one and it did a good job cleaning Majano but then it got an appetite to my softies. Don't know about the bonding but if they are not killing each other then they might be a pair.

jck16

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Thanks for the input. Yeah they were sold to me as a pair, but I personally think they could be fine alone. It's only the bigger one that seems to nip the clam from time to time.

My solution for now ended up being getting another bigger clam :rolleyes: I don't think I've seen it nip either clam recently so who knows.

Last edited:

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
File fish are hit or miss when it comes to "totally" reef safe but probably still one up on pygmy angels.
I would get them out if you are a clam lover.
I have a pair of captive bred flame angels that are in QT and am questioning myself if I really want to put them in my reef tank that has 8 clams.
Are they nipping on any LPS like acans, blastos?

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I have a pair of captive bred flame angels that are in QT and am questioning myself if I really want to put them in my reef tank that has 8 clams.

don't think mine was captive bred, but my ex-flame angel went to town on a maxima after about 3 days in the tank. friendly nudge that your judgement to keep them out is sound :thrash:

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Funny that you say that Spartan!
When I was temporarily living in NHP on the island last year, I bought a wild caught Flame from Andrew @ AMA and he was fine with a blue squammie that I had in a 65g, even left acans alone.
But again it's hit or miss and I'm a bit scared to put these guys in.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: