editour2

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I currently have a standard CO2 regulater with solenoid for my calc reactor, see pic below. Occassionally I find the solenoid is stuck in the open position. I generally close the valve, wait for the ph to rise past the set point, on my ph controller, and then blast some CO2 through the valve to clear any possible dirt blocking the needle valve. This generally works but this has been happening on a weekly basis. Sometimes I am away for a week at a time and I'd like to have something that is more consistent. I'm thinking of getting the carbon doser to eliminate the needle valve. I'd be interested in hearing opinions by others who have experience with it, both positive asnd negative. Also interested in possible alternatives.

Attachments

• 157815298298350751651.jpg
    157815298298350751651.jpg
    741.9 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: Emo

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Frank unfortunately all needle valves are going to fail. I’ve been using them for over twenty years. I clean mine with a vinegar and hot mix and do what you do blow it out with CO2. Seems to work for a few months. If it’s occurring more often then it’s probably time for a new one. The only dependable non needle valve I know of is the Aquarium plant regular which is 2-3xs more expensive....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

editour2

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Thanks Mike....so you don't think the carbon doser is worth the money or would resolve the issue by an alternate method? You just soak the brass needle attachment? Vinegar and hot water?

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Electronic co2 regulators , solve your problem, works Great, you have few option to control the Alk., # 1 is effluent flow amount ( 80-120 ml/min.) , #2 is size of the bubble ( control pressure between 6-10 PSI ) , #3 adjust the nub ( how many bubble per sec.) , best controler, period,

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
you have to do some home work about price (????!!!!!)
but one think........this is the most (best) perfect regulators , some come w/LCD display ( skip that ) but works ......perfect,lol.
Best think i buy for my tank.

Ezoo

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
there is an aquatic plant forum i used to visit a lot when i was into it. i purchase my co2 regulator from a guy named alan le there. he makes excellent stuff and guarantees his work. you may find some stuff still for sale on this as it is still a very active forum.

editour2

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
you have to do some home work about price (????!!!!!)
but one think........this is the most (best) perfect regulators , some come w/LCD display ( skip that ) but works ......perfect,lol.
Best think i buy for my tank.
So you are endorsing the carbon doser......I thought you were suggesting some other electronic carbon doser product that's why I asked for a link.

Last edited:

Water Dog

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m a DIY guy here. As mentioned above, a great alternative to the CarbonDoser is an Alan Le built dual stage regulator. Using the Alan Le DIY CO2 regulator build thread over on the “other” site, I built this for less than the current $350 sticker price for the CarbonDoser. It’s full stainless steel and uses top off the line lab grade industrial parts. The key to these are using high quality low flow metering valves for consistent bubble counts, which are very difficult with the cheaper off the shelf hobby grade units sold for the aquarium trade. I’m using a stainless steel Hoke 1300 series low flow metering valve in my build.

EDB07D2C-DCB8-49AD-B145-7CEC25266CD9.jpeg

editour2

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Yes...I've been reading alot and am considering a high end dual stage regulator. The problem with that is there are so many choices and I dont know all the particulars regarding good solenoid, good needle valve, part dimensions/size etc. The pre-builts range from $250 up to no $ end.

Water Dog

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Shoot me a PM if you’re interested in the DIY route. I’ve helped a number of people with their builds. In fact, I’ve got someone from the forums stopping by my place later today with a box of parts that I suggested he buy on eBay. I’ll be putting it all together for him for acros in trade! :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: